Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why Kansas??? >

Why Kansas???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why Kansas???

Old 09-22-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Why Kansas???

I live in the state of Kansas and have been recently looking up regulations and laws regarding firearms and have noticed that our state has more liberal firearm laws than many states. I think of Kansas as a very conservative state (and we as a state usually vote that way). Does anyone know why then we have so many regulations on weapons. Such as No conceal carry (one of only 14 states without), complete outlaw of silecers, and many other class3 items, and a very short and getting shorter every year, firearms deer season. Our Governor is in charge of our wildlife and parks department and she is a Democrat, but these laws and trends are far from new. Someone please explain to me why my farm, prairy, and ranching state seems to be far behind many other more liberal states when it comes to right to bear arms laws.

Chris
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Default RE: Why Kansas???

B/c ya'll like most others have law makers that think guns kill people. Most hunting laws are also made my suits that have never stepped off concrete.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

quit complaining.....if it wasn't for Dorthy and Toto no one would even know Kansas existed.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:33 AM

Until just a few months ago whenthe Gov signed the Pre-emption law, any municipality,city, town or incorporated village could make and enforce gun laws or ordinances withoutregard to statelaw within their jurisdiction.So there never was a overall or state wideobjective to formulateor codify gunlaws.State laws on the books were only enforceable at"city limits".

As an example,while within state jurisdiction, say driving downKS 54, it is perfectly legal to carry your30-06 hunting rifle with a few rounds in a soft case in the trunk of your car. When youcrossedinto Wichita city limits, you are in violation of the city ordinance where it is illegal totransport a weapon and live ammunition in "close proximity"as in the same case oreven in the trunk.In the same way, whille it was legal to have a "detachable" magazine that held more than 10 rounds in some parts of Kansas, it was not legal in Topeka. and so on and on.

The pre-emption law passed this past spring pre-empts or supercedes any law or ordinancethat exceeds or goes beyond state law. Now that we have some consistency, maybewe can develop amore "common sence" approach to our state's gun laws. There are still a few states that do not have pre-emption laws but not many.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KansasHunter5

I live in the state of Kansas and have been recently looking up regulations and laws regarding firearms and have noticed that our state has more liberal firearm laws than many states. I think of Kansas as a very conservative state (and we as a state usually vote that way). Does anyone know why then we have so many regulations on weapons. Such as No conceal carry (one of only 14 states without), complete outlaw of silecers, and many other class3 items, and a very short and getting shorter every year, firearms deer season. Our Governor is in charge of our wildlife and parks department and she is a Democrat, but these laws and trends are far from new. Someone please explain to me why my farm, prairy, and ranching state seems to be far behind many other more liberal states when it comes to right to bear arms laws.

Chris
You mean one of only four states that don't allow some sort of concealed carry! Check this out- http://www.packing.org/state/kansas/image.php?stateimage=30. I would have thought that Kansas would be more gun friendly then New York State. New York City isa different story! I read one time that there are over a million permit holders inNew York State. When I got my permit in 1996therewere over 60,000 permitsin my county alone.Most of them are unrestricted carry permits. I can't find were I read it.Some counties started to restrict then in the mid 1990's. Mine was restricted at firstbut I got the restriction removed in2002and now its a unrestrictedfull concealedcarry permit!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
bigcountry

You guys shouldn't have any rights. Isn't it enough that everybody gets 160 class deer every year? While we have to get scrub bucks.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:39 PM
bigcountry

Seriously, I don't know, maybe a legacy from a former Governor. Alot of people out there are into sensibility. In other words, there's no need for machine guns,200 MPH motorcycles, things like that.they really don't think about what one needs and wants are two different things.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:13 PM

New york hunter you are right. Only one of 4. I just got done talking to an FFL dealer that i am transfering a gun to about this and he is a Class3 dealer. He is under the impression that all of this started back in the 20's and 30's with all of the highway robbery and bank robbery in Kansas. We were one of the first to ban machine guns because of the crime wave back then. I dont see it changing anytime soon or ever either.

And for you Big Country, I respect your opinion, but just because we dont need it doesn't mean it is not sensible to have them. Machine gun shooting is a legal hobby for many in the united states. Gun ownership is something that is permitted and by the constitution should not be restricted such as driving a vehicle which is merely a luxury and not a right afforded to Americans. It is something that is It isn't exactly the same as a 200mph motorcycle as there is no legality to driving one that fast in the united states at all for private citizens (other than the select few moto racers out there) To each his own.
Chris
Old 09-23-2005, 08:43 PM
bigcountry

Kansas, first post was a joke, you know a funny. You need to reread my second post. I ride those fast motos, and shoot all kinds of guns. You asked why, and I was giving you possible ideas of why. I am all for making myself a greasy spot on the road. But thru my travels thru Kansas, several people are of the mindset, of only having what you need. Very conservative people, kinda like my Grandmother. Not much on luxury items. Hey man, you asked why, I was just giving a hypothesis.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know for sure if it makes a differance but, we have had a lot of governors and legislatures run on the Republican ticket as moderates, in other words liberals.
Several have changed parties in the last few years, that I am aware of, just to get elected.
The last Gov. a "moderate" had several Dems on his staff and in key positions.

Quick Reply: Why Kansas???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.