Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Quality affordable scope? >

Quality affordable scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quality affordable scope?

Old 10-02-2002, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Quality affordable scope?

As a full blow Leupold nut I would always suggest Leupold, however I have been playing around with the Nikon Buckmaster and I have to tell you that I’m impressed. They seem to be everything the Leupold VXII is and then some, but less money. A 3X9X40 should set you back about $150.00. I think you’ll like is quite a bit. If that is to steep you may want to consider the Bushnell Banner. I have a couple of friends that just love them and don’t use anything else, and as much as I hate to admit to it, they have gotten at least as many deer as I have.

Of course they are just lucky...I'm just good
Old 10-03-2002, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to look at a Sighton S1 model most are under 200 bucks and have great adjustments and optics plus a lifetime warranty.!
Old 10-03-2002, 09:00 AM

You may want to do what I did and by a used Leopold. Last year I bought a 4x M8 with butler caps for $150. I suspect 4 power is all I really need to shoot a deer. I do wish I had more magnification when looking at the 300 yard paper targets but at 200 its still fine.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:44 AM

I am about to buy a scope (probably for a .270) as well. The guy at Bass Pro Shops recommended the Simmons Aetec to me. It was 169 I believe. I am also looking at the Leupold VX II.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron (lifetime over the counter replacement), Simmons Atec, Weaver classic, Tasco world class, world class plus, Bushnell trophy. All of these are good scopes and perform well. Whatever you buy, absolutly get one with a one piece tube, they are alot more durable.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

270 Bolt, I know you are looking for a bargain brand scope.I agree not everybody can afford the top of the line optics.My suggestion would be save a little longer and buy a quality scope.The bargain brands will cost you more in the long run.Last year I was getting NIB Leupold's VarXII's for 179.00.They are getting scarce now but there are other good buys out there for those who do their homework.I found some Weaver's at a reasonable price at www.natchezss.com www.midsouthshooterssupply.com has some good buys from time to time. I would recommend staying away from Tasco especially since they are or have gone belly up.My dealer sells many BSA's and has received several positive comments about them. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:36 PM

270bolt...

is the redfield scope a original? or is it made after they were bought out? the older ones i think are good as leupold.i hear the nikon monarch's are pretty close to the leupold's. clarity wise even some say they are clearer.
my buddy just got a VX-I not bad for $200.00 and some change. but not as good as my VX-II's

Old 10-04-2002, 07:41 PM

pallof...

as for the B.S.A. i have one sitting in my gun safe shelf collecting dust. it is a cateye 1.75-5X32mm. it came with my 35whelen and it can't just keep groups at all. one day it is dead on. the next day it is all over the place. even with the rings and bases tight and not moving.
maybe it could be the recoil.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would recommend the bushnell elite 3200 series.They are quite affordable and have held up well on several of my partners rifles and two of my own range guns.They also appear to be brighter than most scopes in the same price range.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bushnell Elite Series, I have one on my ML it has been a dandy scope. I also have a buddy who has had good results with the Bushnell trophy, which is cheaper than the elite. However it isn't as bright or clear as my elite...but still ok.

I do however believe if you can afford to go with a better scope, some look bright but aren't as clear especially when you go to power 9 and 10. I understand how it is a tough pill, but buy a good quality scope and it will pay for itself in the long run.

One other thing I would add, whatever scope you buy make sure to mount it with good bases and rings, often this is more the problem than scopes. I have found Leupold and Burris to be probably the best and most solid in my trials. IMO they worth every penny and can save you a lot of headaches.

Quick Reply: Quality affordable scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.