Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer >

Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer

Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer

Who likes to hunt with pistol cartridges in carbines for deer?

I personally love using 44 Mag and 45 Colt +p carbines. These are generally light, easy-to-cary firearmss that really pack a wallop on whitetails. The longer barrel lengths give an additional 5-600 fps, and inside of 125 yds, they will do anything that modern, high-velocity cartridges do.

My Ruger Deerfield is an awesome rifle, and I cannot wait to tag one with it this year.

cheer,
ths78
Old 09-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer

I have a winchester (reproduction) M-92 in .44 Mag that I like to use in the woods environment. It's light and handles well and just fits the image of the hunters of yesteryear.....the 44 mag is no slouch either. It's not much beyond 100 yards but it's not too often to shoot farther than that in the woods.

Marlin makes a 41 mag rifle too that I'd think would be a great pistol round in a rifle. However that's as small as I'd go. The .357 rounds are a bit lacking IMO.
Different strokes I guess....
Old 09-18-2005, 01:52 PM

Why bother with the pistol cartridges?

There are so many great rifle cartridges with low recoil and plenty of punch. I know that a 30-30 with a nice 2-7x scope on top of it will kill deer plenty dead at all pistol distances, with ammunition being plentiful and inexpensive, and recoil being very low!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

because they're something different.

yes i do hunt with one but haven't yet for deer. i have a winchester 94 trapper in 44 mag and love it for close range hogs and general close range stuff. they pack a wallup on both sides of it.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the pistol caliber shooting rifles. A nice Marlin 1894, with a RSBH in 44's. Sweet compliment of guns there.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

I would consider the terminal perfromance of the 44 Mag and 45 Colt +P to be slightly better than the 30-30 on whitetails and they are generally speaking less expensive.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have used the Marlin Lever action 44 Mag for deer. Out to 125 yards or so it is lethal as hell on anything that gets in its way. This includes Elk and Moose. If you can hit it, the 300 grain Hornady XTP will pass through a Mule deer including one shoulder even at 200 yards. I did it two years ago. I now have the NEF in both 44 Mag and 357 Mag. They are fun and cheap to shoot.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM

My Ruger 96/44 mag. has never failed me.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

To match the revolver on the hip....some of us like being cowboys.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 PM

My 1894 marlin holds ten rounds which is very useful when a herd attacks. Truthfully thats nine more than needed. Velocity and energy numbers don't tell the whole story with these things. They kill far better than the ballistic computer says they should.

Quick Reply: Pistol Cartridges in Rifles for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.