Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remmington Swift Scirrico? >

Remmington Swift Scirrico?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remmington Swift Scirrico?

Old 09-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Remmington Swift Scirrico?

I am looking for a bullet for Whitetail deer, experiences and your opinions on what you think is best?

I shoot a 7 MM Rem. Mag. Bullets I tested to be the best accuracy for this gun are I would like to keep it in the 150Gr...this is all factory ammo)

150 Premium Federal Seirra Boat Tail
150 Nosler Ballistic tips
154 Hornady SST

Ok I like boattails, I admit it. Main reason is wind drift and a longer range shot is possible, just as a 100 yards shot is.

The Scirrico seems to give the best of both worlds, flat (maybe not as flat as BT's..but comparible), boattail design and bonded core for better penetration. I read some reviews, but really no help.

So anybody have any experiences, tested or good to say about this Rem Bullet offering?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2002, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remmington Swift Scirrico?

Skeeter...Sciroccos have a higher ballistic coefficient than BT being classified as VLD bullets and work very well on everything....They are also run thru the toughest QC in the industry even thru a Juencke comparator before being sold. They have a stickier jacket than BT or other bullets and you'll have to adjust your loads accordingly, there is plenty of load data out there. I think the price is what puts off most people but they are the same as nosler partitions pricewise. Any one I know that uses them loves them.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard (by word of mouth-nothing in print) that the Scirocco's are as frangible as the BT's. Anyone have practical experience with them? I'm interested in using them too-anyone got a link to order some as I can't find any in my town of 60k people.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not used them on game yet...a very good friend in Colorado has them in a custom 300 win mag 180 grain and has killed 2 Bulls with it and a mulie and has had perfect expansion, it is the most accurate bullet he has shot out of the gun . How in the world can a bonded bullet be frangible especially one that has such a thick copper jacket? The only thing I see about them is that they are a long bullet and are a little sticky because of the jacket so you have to load accordingly. IMHO comparing a BT with this bullet is like comparing a chevette scooter with a Ferrari.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard that they are a little sticky and stay away from the factory ammo. However I can't even get any here, they are to expensive...huh? I thought they cost about the same as Nosler Partitions, Any way. I can't see how they would be similar to a BT, they are bonded and like said they have a thick copper jacket...maybe another reason for heavy fouling?

Anyway my gunsmith is going to try load some SS up for me to try. He still thinks the Hornady SST is the way to go. So I may give them a whirl this year. I have read mixed reviews on this bullet, one said they behave exactly like the Nosler Bt, while 2 others said they performed better and yet the shooting times states they may actually perform a bit worse. My gunsmith, has been loading them for a number of guys for Mule and Whitetails and all happy customers...sort a speak. A little confused, sometimes you just have to try them yourself to make the final call, I guess. They shoot real nice groups, so that is one confidence boost.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:39 PM

oldelkhunter have you seen or read any tests on the Scirroco. In the October issues of Shooting Times Rick Jamison did a test on bullets at 3000fps and 2000fps. The Scirroco was right ahead of the Nosler Ballistic Tip. The Nosler Ballistic Tip acually outperformed Hornady's SST. If you don't believe me go buy the issues before its off the shelf. The Scirocco was said to have 70% weight retention and the Ballistic tip was right behind it in weight retention.

Why work when you can hunt???? Heck why work at all!!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

sHOOTER...If you or anyone you know wants to shoot an Elk or a deer with a BT be my guest. I don't care what Rick Jamison says about I believe in real world results... I will not shoot an animal with a glorified nonbonded hollowpoint bullet with a cheap plastic tip stuck on top. I have used BT's once in a 280 and was not at all satisfied with the outcome. SSt's appear to have a heavier jacket and will probably do better on heavier game but never used them. On the other hand I have a very good friend that uses them and has probably been in on the kill of more elk/game period than anyone that posts here and swears by them. The ballistic advantages between the 3 bullets don't amount to a hill of beans in the real world and I'll go with a bonded bullet everytime.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shooter, thats the thing I don't get about reviews, they really seem to be writer preference. Shooting Times ranked the SST as no better than BT. But G&A ranked it above. Also a feature article in G&A stated that the writer never would use Nylon tipped bullets, until after using the SST on a hog hunt. So which is it, good, bad or just indifference to certain bullet styles or manufacturer?

I guess the only real world way is try them and go with what works in your situation. Personally I am more confused now than before I started this search for info. I used BT's when everybody said don't....now many of my hunting pals shoot BT's or seirra's exculsively for deer.

More than a little confussed!!!!!!!! I am at the point I will be using the bullet that shots the best for my gun and see what results it brings in. I wish it was clearer but it really seems to be a simple matter of preference and not really capability. I have heard hunters talk of how BT's etc come apart, well unless I am completely out to lunch, is it not their function. The tip is a wedge, used to peel away the jacket on impact and release energy, while still retain the rear portion for punch through power? If your taking shoulder shots this isn't the bullet you want, but everybody (with the small group that shoot for the neck) say they aim H/L...in that case this bullet style on Deer is superior knock down power to any bullet in the market....no?

Old 10-03-2002, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter...I have shot many truckloads of deer with about every caliber imaginable with exception of ultra mags and short mags and have yet seen a BT kill a deer quicker than a regular hornady/sierra/powerpoint/Nosler partition/corelockt...as a matter of fact deer have run farther after getting hit with the BT in standard calibers. That is my experience.

Quick Reply: Remmington Swift Scirrico?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.