Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SEMI AUTO RIFLES ??? >

SEMI AUTO RIFLES ???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SEMI AUTO RIFLES ???

Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM

Default SEMI AUTO RIFLES ???

WHATS THE STORY ON SEMI AUTO RIFLES?
THEY DONT SEAM TO BE AS POPULAR AS SEMI AUTO SHOTGUNS. ARE .BROWNING AND REMINGTON ANY GOOD SEMI'S ? (RIFLES)
Old 09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SEMI AUTO RIFLES ???

the only semi auto centerfire hunting rifle I'd consider is the Browning BAR.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

From what I have seen of the Benelli R1 I would add that one with the BAR.

Mostly no one makes them simply because there really isn't a real need for them in a hunting application.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few places where Semi-Automatic Rifles shine. My cousin is 84 years old and he uses a semi-auto because he cannot work a bolt action as fast as he use to. I also have handicap friends who use semi-autos because they cannot work a bolt action. In both cases the semi-auto allows these types of people to continue to hunt.Good luck.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know a couple people who like the remington 7400 i think. they seem like a pretty good gun. the browning bars and benelli r-1s look good too as long as you can aford them.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

they havent been popular because some states like pennsy dont allow them . i think the media has painted a picture of semi's as being terrorist weapons and lump them in with full autos and probably dont know the difference. i can assure you my remington 5 shot clip 742 in 308 win. is hardly that i feel. it does provide for a compact darn accurate LOW recoil hunting rifle. follow up shots are a breeze and i feel they have a definite use in hunting if people would just get over things.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I've got a Remington Woodsmaster Model 742 Carbine in 30-06 that I got used when I was 16 and believe me, that was a long time ago. I mounted a 3-9x40mm scope on it then, and the same scope is still on that rifle. If I want to use a centerfire rifle, and my shots are going to be under 150 yards, I'd take that old Remington in a blink of an eye. I'd hate to count the number of deer I have taken with that rifle.

Semi Auto rifles lost popularity a long time ago it seems, but a well functioning semi automatic rifle is every bit as good as any other rifle out there.. Everyone wanted bolt actions because they are more accurate. Well many people are not able to shoot to the ability of their rifle, so what difference does the action make?

In deep woods, where shots are close, I would still rather have a semi automatic. I remember a friend of mine who always used a Remington 700BDL bolt once commented to me, "Well if we were shooting nickels at 300 yards I would have the advantage on you." To which I replied, the next time I want to hunt nickels, I'll borrow your rifle.

I also own a couple bolt action rifles, but have not used them in ages.....
Old 09-14-2005, 07:22 PM
bigcountry

Sure semis get the job done. About every gun nut as one or two. I have a 7400 270 I have been using for eons. On average not as accurate as a bolt but can usually outshoot the people behind them.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a semi auto rifle and really didn’t care for it but I love my semi auto shotgun. I can’t explain it but that’s just the way it is for me any ways.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it kills em...Its a good gun. your choice ! ONE well placed shot should do it!!

Quick Reply: SEMI AUTO RIFLES ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.