HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Bipod (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/112586-bipod.html)

dh4stretch3 09-12-2005 11:05 PM

Bipod

Should I get a bipod to put on my Weatherby .06 for hunting elk and mulies in Arizona?

Vapodog 09-13-2005 01:51 AM

RE: Bipod

no

JadeDragon 09-13-2005 09:17 AM

Though I've never hunted them, I seem to agree with Vapodog. It just doesn't sound like a bipod kind of hunt to me.

missed_another 09-13-2005 10:15 AM

skip the bipod and get a set of shooting sticks. they arejust as good and alot quicker to adjust when shooting.:)

heeze gutshot shortee 09-15-2005 12:20 PM

git da stix need a steady rest unless your that good . Most shots will be from kneeling or leaning agin a tree. heck maybe you dont need da stix , your pack can serve as a rest

liquidorange 09-15-2005 03:42 PM

although i have not tried them i see a new line of 3 and 4 pole shooting sticks. if your climbimg and doing alot of walking a set of shooting sticks that doubles as a walking stick will be handy. you will need to practice shooting off sticks. bi-pods are a bit heavy.

Vapodog 09-15-2005 03:52 PM

When hunting in the mountains...or for that matter almost anywhere except africa (the thorns are really bad there and you can't use a tree for a rest) you can always find a rock or a tree or as previously mentioned a fanny pak or something to rest the rifle. If one does choose to take shooting sticks I recommend the stoney point set of two sticks....not three...just two sticks. This set is light and is carried on the belt and assembles easily for use. It's not a good walking stick however.

If you have a Weatherby rifle you can use that as a walking stick....if you have a winchester however you might choose not to stick the barrel in the ground ever step of the way.

dh4stretch3 09-15-2005 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

If you have a Weatherby rifle you can use that as a walking stick....if you have a winchester however you might choose not to stick the barrel in the ground ever step of the way.

Are you saying the Weatherby is reliable enough to do that, or do you mean it in a negative way?

Vapodog 09-15-2005 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

Are you saying the Weatherby is reliable enough to do that, or do you mean it in a negative way?

Just a little campfire hunor there.

dh4stretch3 09-15-2005 06:27 PM

Oh ok. I didn't have a problem if you meant it in a negative way, I just value everyone's opinions and if you had something negative about the Vanguard, I'd like to hear about it before blowing 600 bucks on rifle and scope.