Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 you're king for a day >

you're king for a day

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

you're king for a day

Old 09-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: you're king for a day

I would get rid of all theWSM, SAUM stuff. Also would kiss goodbye to the .260, .308, 35 Rem, .358 and .458.

I would love to see a .358 RUM or commercialize the .358 STA (which means the Big 8 can stick around) !!!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:54 AM

The ones I would want are:

257 STW
6mm-284
358 STA

Ones to get rid of:
6mm Remington
280 Remington
300 Weatherby
Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2005, 03:41 PM

You began this hypothetical scenario with the concept that each of us would be "king" for the day. So, as king, I decree that no cartridges are to be discontinued, unless by unanimous assent..... and that anyone may introduce any new cartridge onto the market - whenever they choose. (As for myself, I have no new cartridges to introduce - I am busy with the affairs of state....and have no time for such trifles.)

Why does it matter if "obsolete" or out-of-fashion cartridges are still in the marketplace ? If there is still a market for them - why not ? Speaking for myself, I have no desire to get rid of any particular cartridge. I use the ones I happen to like. For the rest, I assume that there are those enthusiastic about each and every one - it hardly seems fair to "get rid" of them - just because I don't use them. Besides, I would like to point out that, in the area of cartridges....there is almost nothing that is truly new. For every "new" or recently developed cartridge - there is an older cartridge that will almost meet (and in some cases exceed) the performance of that "new" cartridge. I think that the development of new cartridges has more to do with marketing, than any practical or performance considerations.

Lastly, as king, I decree that anyone who advocates discontinuation of MY favorite cartridges, namely the 7.92 x 57JS, the 7 x 57 and the .308 Win., shall be imprisoned in the tower for a period of not less than 1 year.... and shall be gently whipped daily, during that time period, with a leather rifle sling from a classic Mauser 98 rifle. The whippings shall continue until the sentence is completed, or until the prisoner recants his/her heresy.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lastly, as king, I decree that anyone who advocates discontinuation of MY favorite cartridges, namely the 7.92 x 57JS, the 7 x 57 and the .308 Win., shall be imprisoned in the tower for a period of not less than 1 year.... and shall be gently whipped daily, during that time period, with a leather rifle sling from a classic Mauser 98 rifle. The whippings shall continue until the sentence is completed, or until the prisoner recants his/her heresy.
Now I know why we don't have Kings anymore.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the original pick of the 6.5-06, 338-06, and 375 Taylor.

The 6 I would toss would be:
.35 Remington - very little factory loaded ammo available, other better cartridges in that class, such as .356 and .358 Win and .35 Whelen.
8mm Remington Mag. - Doesn't seem to have caught on too much in this country.
325 WSM - really don't see a point in having that cartridge when the .300 WSM will do the exact same thing
7mm SAUM - the WSM's over power it (popularity)
300 SAUM - The WSM's over power it (popularity)
25 WSSM - Sure it equals (supposedly) the power of the .25-06, but where does it have any advantage over its longer kin? I really don't see it.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im with Gorse here...if somebody likes em Im all for keeping all calibers. Only ones I have really never understood are the wssm's....however Im sure somebody loves em.

If I had my choice to anything I would want built..it would be...

6.5 WSM
338-06

Im easy to please...I guess im gonna have to get a 338-06 built and get it over with.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not much on the new calibers, so we could probably do without the WSM, and SAUM's.
As far as a new wish list, I'm pretty good with what we've got, so instead of creating new calibers, I'd decree that all the kings stores would carry a good stock of 6MM Rem, .264 Win. Mag. .257 Roberts, and .300 Savage bullets!
Old 09-17-2005, 06:41 AM

That 257 STW sounds like a good one!
Old 09-18-2005, 01:47 PM

I think that as long as I have the calibers I need then you can do what you want with the rest of them.

I think that you could probably get along with only Winchester cartridges.

.243 Winchester
You could use this one for all varmints, including small predators, and anything up to deer sezied game with great confidence.

.270 Winchester
This is probably going to be your best all around deer cartridge, being able to take anything from pronghorn to muleys, including all the sheep and goats. This would be a great choice.

.308 Winchester
The .308 would be my answer for bigger deer and smaller bear, meaning those 300 something pound whitetails of the midwest and all black bears.

.300 Winchester Magnum
This is a fine all around round, being flat shooting and giving you bullet weights from 150 all the way up to 200 something. This is great for all of your moose, elk, and bigger bear hunting.

.338 Winchester Magnum
This old classis is wonderful for larger moose, bear, and elk if you feel that you need the insurance of the extra bullet weight and power.

.458 Winchester Magnum
To close things out, if the .458 won't kill it, you have no business shooting at it.

I guess that you could limit things a little more and just go with:

.243 Winchester
.308 Winchester
.338 Winchester Magnum

That would probably serve most peoples' needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.