Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 35 Whelen accuracy >

35 Whelen accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

35 Whelen accuracy

Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 AM

Default 35 Whelen accuracy

Drew a moose tag this year and would like to use my Whelen but can't seem to get consistant grouping at the range. One time I'll get a 1.5" inch group and the next three shots will be all over the paper. I'm shootingFederal TBBC. I'll take the blame for some of the problem butI'm wondering about the accuracy of the Whelen in general. Anybody got one and how accurate is it.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35 Whelen accuracy

sorry fellah.....there's absolutely nothing inaccurate about the .35 Whelen.

Here's my "take two aspirin and call back" prescription.....glass bed the action and free float the barrel and try it again. That thing should shoot a five shot group into 1.5 with ease.....probably better.

It's good moose medicine.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried different ammo for that weapon? Maybe its not that the Whelen isn't an accurate cartridge, but that your particular rifle doesn't like that particular load. I would try someother ammo and see how the firearm shoots. Have you used this ammo to take game before? Also you say that 3 shots will be in 1.5" and the next three will be all over the place. How long are you waiting before shots. It could also be that your rifle does not like a hot barrel and needs time to cool off between shots. The barrel could be getting too hot, and causing groups to go all over the place.

Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 PM
bigcountry

TBBC are notorious for coppering up a barrel fast. Their terminal performance is awesome and probably better than any bullet. I wouldn't be surprised if you are getting alot of copper in your barrel.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check your scope mounting system is doing its job. The cap screws may be lose, or your rings may be streched. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:00 PM

I would say something loose. I don't know if you have pump or bolt. But, either gun should group consistant. If it's a bolt check your gaurd screws, plus the normal scope bases,rings etc... Trophy bond bullet's shoot around 1.5 or better 3 shot groups in at least 3 pump 7600 whelen's. For factory ammo Rem 250gr core-loc shoot the best out of my pump. At around $ 24.00 a box I feel your pain. Give your gun a good cleaning, Check all your screws. Shoot 3 shot's wait 15 min. Make sure your brl is cool. Then shoot 3-more. If your first 3 are good, your next 3 are good, then so-so, next group worse....then your gun is getting copper fouled.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

35 whelen??? You plan on being right next to moose right. That 35whelen is a short range brick thrower..dont get me wrong itll do the job, .but there are alot of other calibers out here that will make it alot cleaner. Distance and shot placement... You owe it to that old MOOSE( 300win mag, 30-06 hell even a .270 is justice) And thats the bottom line 'cause ".YOU SAID SO" "" Hope you dont run into no bear out dare ..BE SAFE
Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

My manuals show the Whelan to besuperior to the .270 and .30-06, about equal to the .300 Winnie...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Max point blant range on a 35 whelen is 250 yards with a 250 grain bullet. Not quite a brick thrower, and then there is that big 358 wound path.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Will try some of your suggestions and let you know the result. Forgot to mention that I had a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock installed to replace the wood CDL stock last winter. Wonder if that might be some of the problem. The same guy who did this rifle installed the same stock on my 7 mag and it shoot consistant groups.

Quick Reply: 35 Whelen accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.