Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber. >

Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:40 PM

Default RE: Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber.

Also, could you explain these shooting techniques or perhaps you have a link?
Sorry,
I could, but I've grown weary of writing books on this forum (including this topic).
You might try some searches on this site (handling recoil)(recoil management)(managing recoil).
Won't matter. Reading it isn't enough. Short cuts won't likely work particularly well.

NRA instructor.
One that owns and shoots heavy bore rifles.
The techniques that work on the big bore stuff for sure works on themid-weight stuff.
Probably $50 for an hour of his time will do it.
It will be one of the best $50 bills you've spent if you're serious about mastering rifles that have more going for them than the "varmit/deer/powder puff" genre.
If you findan instructorthat is/has been an African PH, then that would be even better.

Let your fingers do the walking.
NRA should be able to provide you with a list of those in your area.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:51 PM

Another vote for the.270win or .270wsm.

If you want to go with a .270, but want a little more power, check out the .270 Weatherby Mag.

If I can remember right (from reading), it is faster, flatter, and has more energy than the 7mm mag.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

I would get a Ruger 77 Mk II in 30-06. It will kill anything you want and ammo is everywere. Both my Ruger rifles .223 and 300 WSM will shoot .5 MOA. They are very good guns for the money. You would probably have to get a trigger job but it will still cost you less than an A-bolt.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Another vote for the 270 Winchester. It'll take elk also.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

6.5mmSwede, .260rem. or .270Win.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you find a 7 mag uncomfortable odds are you might also find the 3006 is also, not much difference in my opinion. You might want to look at a .270 or .280 and try another brand of rifle than the Browning. It might just not fit you properly and they tend to be fairly light also.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Yep,

Weight, fit, recoil pad, benchrest habits, etc. etc. all enter into the recoil management equation.

I shot an M700 in 270Win for waaaay too long with a stock that was too short for me. Ouch more than once --- thumb "whack" across the nose or upper lip, often when I least expected it. Nasty. After lengthening the stock itturned intoa puppy dog --- few rifles (with any kick at all) are truly right for you "out of the box," after all, they are a mass produced item (unless you fit the "average man" profilethat they engineer them for).

Light weight rifles are wonderful to carry, but can carry a fearsome price tag come shooting time. I've got a 338WinMag Sako that weighs 6.5 pounds, wonderful to carry but gotta be"on top of your shooting technique"come shooting time -- I like heavy rifles myself, the 375 H&H weighs in at 11.5 pounds scoped, loaded, and slung, super recoil pad, superb fit, a delight to shoot.

I'm trying to tell you, the devil is in the details when you move up out of the powder puff genre. Go to your rifle range, renttwo or threehighpower rifles and havethat session with a heavybore NRA rifle instructor BEFORE yourun out and spend your money on a second go around with a different high power rifle (or low power rifle)"delivered" to you bythis internet chat session --- its not impossible that you could end up with a DIFFERENT 7mmRemMag rifle (fit and weight) and using aDIFFERENT technique (especially off of the bench) actually end up loving it.

Goodness sakes a Betsy , you already are shooting a 12 gauge, you're already 3/4's the way there --- all the way there if you shoot the truly heavy 12 gauge magnums competently. Ever see the picture of the little old lady trying to sweep back the tide with a push broom, well ----I can relate.............
Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

lambchops... you have stepped into the fountain of truth in these forums..check out comments , go to a arms seller, touch em, look down the barrels, feel em up. swing em to mimic comin up or around for a shot...a gun has to fit your physical body first, can you carry it all day, etc. .....type of game will almost determine caliber and grain weight....along with distances of shot. A .243 fitted to your size mite be the ticket... alot of folk have used them for every type of game in north america.. proper grain and shot placement, and distance, read these other forums to see what Im sayingl