Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Light Weight Rifle >

Light Weight Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Light Weight Rifle

Old 09-05-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Light Weight Rifle

I was thinking about putting together very light weight rifle package for general hunting. What do you guys think about this?

Remington Model 700 Titanium
7mm-08 Remington

Nikon Titanium Scope
3.3-10x44mm AO

Near Precision Scope Base (One Piece)
Luepold 30mm Rings

Browning Eclipse Padded Sling
Black Nylon w/ Thumb Loop

Stoney Point Steady Stix II
Black Aluminum, 39" Fully Extended

The entire package scoped and loaded should weigh less than 7 1/2 pounds. Thats less than one gallon of water, and it should be easy to carry almost anywhere. I also thought that the 7mm bullet would be very versatile as far as hand loading goes. Can you guys think of anything that would be lighter? or better?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Light Weight Rifle

looks good here.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

tom i would think that your cdl would be pretty light... how much does it weigh???
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 PM

The CDL empty without a scope weighs as much as this whole rig. I want a light weight set up very badly, and I like tinkering with new rifles, so I am kicking this idea around. I am having a hard time convincing myself to invest this much into a rifle that I consider very marginal on elk/moose/bear etc.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

That sounds like a near perfect setup. My buddy has the Titanium in .308 andthe recoilwill cross your eyes. he would return for 7MM-08 if he could.. Shoots 1.5' groups though. I seems like you are putting alot of scope on for that rifle and cartridge, but if looks alright why not.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:37 PM
DM

It would be just about right for me, except that i wouldn't need that much scope on it....

It should work just fine on black bears, even elk at closer ranges... And moose too if you keep your ranges down and wait untill your have good shot placement.

I'd use 150 NP's for all around use... or 140 NP's for deer sized animials..

Drilling Man
Old 09-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are truely wanting a light weight package then lose the big scope. The only thing that is titanium is the objective and ocular bell. The rest is the same alloy used in their other scopes. So why pay the extra money for titanium that reeally does not do anything? That scope weighs 20.3 ounces.

Instead I would opt for the Monarch UCC in 3-9X40 at 12.6 ounces or the Monarch UCC 2-7X32 at 11.2 ounces. Both of these are right at a full half pound lighter than the Titanium scope you listed. Besides the "silver" scope already has two shades of silver on it and I'd bet it wouldn't match the rifle's silver either.

I would also loose that huge Near Precision scope base and install a two piece Warne premier set and Warne 7.3 series rings. Or a set of Talley rings and bases. Or a set of S&K rings and bases This will drop several ounces right here.

Do this and you will drop close to, if not a full pound from what you already have.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:37 AM

Alright, you guys have convinced me that I don't need that much scope. I already know that the 14x setting on the scope on my 30-06 is useless except at the range. I'm seriously considering switching to a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm scope, weighing in at 11.6 ounces. Dropping the weight in the scope and the bases etc, this should bring the whole weapon in at under 7 pounds. Hopefully the 7mm-08 won't kick my ass at that weight. I seriously considered the .308, but I know that the recoild would be terrible in that light of a rifle. Also, how much do you think that the 22" barrel effects your velocity as opposed to the 24" barrel?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 AM

I think the VX-III 2.5x8 is a good choice - that's what I'm putting on my Browning Titanium (7mm WSM) I have on order. Seems about the lightest variable that maintains 3.5" eye relief.

The VX-III 3 x 9 40mm, VX-II 3 x 9 and a couple of Swarovski's are in the 13oz or less range too.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

I read an article approx 2 years ago about barrel length and their test gun was a 7mm-08. The velocity drop from 24" to 20" was 60 FPS. You will probably loose 40 FPS at 22".
PS: This test ran the chrony at 24" and then cut and recrowned the barrel at 20" and ran the chrony again, so variance from barrel to barrel was eliminated. Many guys will get custom barrels that are 2" longer than standard and make significant gains in velocity, but many times the gain is due to reduced barrel friction and not the length. If you ask them, they attribute the increased velocity to the length of the barrel.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.