HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/111278-need-cheap-new-gun-can-drop-grizzly.html)

cuchullainn 09-01-2005 08:49 PM

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Don't want to hunt grizzlys I just need a caliber that will drop one if I come across it while camping. I was planning to buy an AR 15 but I will have to wait till later for that. Ive seen alot of new .22's for around $300 canadian but I will need a more powerful one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

max the dog 09-01-2005 09:01 PM

RE: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

I'm pretty sure the AR 15 and the .22's will do a great job stopping a grizzly in it's tracks. Shoot at him with one and he'll drop down and bust a gut laughing at you.
If you're going into griz country it's time for you to get serious and get more power. Nothing less than a .44 mag if you're planning on packing a pistol and no less than a .308 or 45/70 if you want a rifle. My personal choice would be a Rem 870 12 gauge loaded up with fat slugs and/or big buckshot. I'd also put an extension tube on it's magazine so you can load up on rounds. A shorter stock would be nice since if a griz is in your camp you're going to want to swing that gun around real fast without it getting hung up on anything. Don't question the mighty 12 gauge for it's power, anything that doesn't die right away from a hit is going to be hurting pretty bad and not in the mood for a second dose of medicine.

cuchullainn 09-01-2005 09:05 PM

Ya thanks I noticed shotties are cheap forgot you could get slugs. I might go with that. We cant carry handguns to the woods so it will probally be a shotgun or a .308 rifle. We can only take our handguns to a firing range with lots of paperwork to fill out[:-]sux huh? lol

cuchullainn 09-01-2005 09:13 PM

What do u think of this one? Im not familiar with its caliber. its unusually cheap, do u think its crap?
[align=center]Model:
SKS
[align=center]
Calibre:
7.62 x 39

Shots:

Note:
None Its$135.00
Canadian.[/align][/align]

m.t.hands 09-01-2005 09:14 PM

I'm pretty sure the AR 15 and the .22's will do a great job stopping a grizzly in it's tracks. Shoot at him with one and he'll drop down and bust a gut laughing at you.
dang max who's gonna clean this monitor now[:@], i just spewed

T.D.W 09-01-2005 10:44 PM

O.k, you want the grizly dead. if you piss it off and it comes and chews you up you will wish you spent more than 135$ on a gun. But to answer your question more directly, no, i would not get an sks, in my expierience their accuracy is crap.

CapDog 09-01-2005 11:16 PM

If you are on and absolute shoestring budget pick up a sporterized Lee Enfield .303, for a bolt gun they are very fast to operate and the ten round magazine can come in handy. By the sounds of things your are from the north country so they should be easily obtained. Load them up with 180grain bullets min, try and get your hands on some 200 grainers. Get a ghost ring type sight. This wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be entirely uncomfortable with it either as I've personally seen it work.If you are looking for a serious bear defence take alookat the big bore lever guns like .444, 45/70 and 450marlin a shotgun loaded with slug is another option.Don't forget you are not hunting but trying to stop a charging carnivore. You will need something that will deal with that problem immediately and therfore you need a bullet that will have the power to penetrate and shut the switch off.

BeltedMag 09-01-2005 11:24 PM

How bout an NEF handi rifle. You can pick one up for under 200 bucks at most gun stores. They are really easy to use, cause the are a single shot break action just like a old shotgun. Plus you can get them in many calibers that will put the hurtings on bear. I would suggest the 45/70 government, 450 marlin mag. or the new .500 smith and wesson that they just added to the line up. These guns come up easy and feel great in the hands. I would higly recomend one, and they dont weigh as much as a big bore, bolt action.

Good luck and hope you dont become a pile of bear poo in the great outdoors

bigbulls 09-01-2005 11:41 PM

If you want a gun that can stop a grizzly intent on eating you then forget about every single military style semi auto weapon you have ever seen (SKS, AK, AR, etc...). The cartridges are not designed to stop charging bears. They are designed to be human killers/ wounders and be light enough and small enough so that a soldier can carry lots of ammo.

The 7.62X39 isn't regarded as a good deer cartridge much less a grizzly stopper.

Forget about getting a semi auto rifle all together. The last thing you want is to get a jam when the bear is trying to eat you. Semi autos have a knack for not working in extreme cold weather and most semi autos can not handle a cartridge big enough to count on to stop a Grizzly quickly. There are a few exceptions but you are going to spend $$$$$$$ for one.

I would also forget about a single shot rifle. One shot is about all you would have time for before the bear got to you. Reloading is very slow in a stressful situation such as this. You have to break open the gun, fumble getting a cartridge in your hand and get it into the chamber and close the gun all the while trying to stay alive.

If the firearm isn't chambered in a .338 Winchester mag or larger then I wouldn't even consider carrying it to be used as a grizzly stopper. If 1000+ pound bear is charging me then I want to throw out the largest chunks of lead as fast as I accurately can.

Your best bet is a pump shotgun. They are simple to operate and operate fast, they throw huge chunks of lead or multiple smaller chunks of lead, they are as reliable as a gun gets and are very rugged, and they don't cost much.

Winchester makes a model 1300 defender that has an 8 shot magazine tube and a 18" cylinder bore (no choke) barrel and synthetic stocks. It should retail for under $300 US new. This would be my choice as it has a rotating bolt head that locks into the barrel (stronger design), holds two more shells, and unloaded is a full pound lighter than the Remington.

Remington also makes a shotgun that is very similar to the 1300 except that it only holds six shells in the magazine tube. It too has an 18" cylinder bore barrel and synthetic stocks. It's the bottom one in the pic.

TomFromTheShade 09-02-2005 12:28 AM

The Marlin 1895G is the ultimate bear defense rifle. After a few modifications, such as a stronger extractor, some ghost ring sights, and a good sling, I dare you to come up with a better pound for pound bear stopper. You might even be able to find one of these fairly inexpensively if you call around looking for a used one.

Vapodog 09-02-2005 03:45 AM

My personal choice would be a Rem 870 12 gauge loaded up with fat slugs and/or big buckshot.
By definition:.....self defence don't happen at 100 yards. It happens at ten yards and a shotgun slug with a bunch of it's buddies in the tube of a reliable pump gun is as good as it gets.

lovethebigguns 09-02-2005 04:21 AM

I would also agree, the Winchester Model 1300.
I like my odds when I have about 5 (8 with the Camp Defender Model) ounces of lead that I can throw at that bear. And you can empty the 1300 pretty quickly, especially if your fixin to dribble down your leg watching a griz come at ya!!
The 1895G or "Guide Gun" as it's called is an incredible rifle. And the good ole 45-70 is plenty of medicine for a griz, and you can fire a good lever gun as fast as most people can fire a pump. But if cuchullainn is really concerned about price I think he's be hard pressed to find a Guide Gun for less that $400-$425.
And you can buy a 1300 every day for $300, and sometimes less.

Also I have to agree with Bigbulls, NO semi-auto's!! And even though the NEF is a great little rifle,I want more that one shot. Some people argue that they can be loaded pretty fast, but ya gotta figure nerves into it, you'll probably drop the shell trying to get it out of your pocket and into your rifle!!

Good Luck!!

dvdegeorge 09-02-2005 06:09 AM

How about you buy your .22 or any other gun you want,be careful on your camping ventures and carry a can of pepper spray bear repellant!Good luck great white camper!

il coyote 09-02-2005 07:43 AM

I was wondering how long it would take to realize that a .22 centerfire is not enough to take into the canadian countryside, alone.

Don't waste time looking for that oh-so-special bolt action, and get a shotgun, period. If you've never seen the damage a slug will do, you will be greatly impressed. Plus they are simple to operate.

You could, of course, just get the optional grenade launcher for the AR15

PA Bow/Flinter 09-02-2005 08:19 AM

JMHO: If I am talking grizzlies, cheap would be the last word to enter my mind. I would buy quality so I would have all of the confidence in the world in it.

DM 09-02-2005 08:23 AM

I sold a Valmet copy of an AK47 to a customer (friend) that lived in the bush in Alaska with his wife and 2 girls. They were picking berriesfor canning when a fairly big brown bear charged him from about 25 yards. This guy wasn't all that much of a hunter and really didn't even know all that much about balistics. But, he said, when it got about 15 yards away he cut loose with the .223 and on the 10th shot the bearslid into him knocking him off his feet, scattering everyone. After calming everyone down, they walked back to the cabin, got his camera and tooks lots of pictures....

A month or so later when they flew back to town for supplies, they came over, and him and hiswife couldn't stop thanking me for selling him that rifle!!! There was NO telling him tocarry a bigger rifle after that...

Does this mean the .223 is a brown bear rifle???? NO, but it did work "that" time.....

I prefera decent cal rifle for bear, buta shotgun with slugs would be much better than any small cal. rifle!!

Drilling Man

Vapodog 09-02-2005 08:51 AM

Some game croppers in some African countries use the AK-47 as a cape buffalo gun. On fully auto it is a devastating thing to do to an animal. Yes, it kills cape buffalo deader than hell. We're not permitted the use of fully auto weapons here and you did say cheap.....the license alone is a very spendy thing here.

Superpig 09-02-2005 09:07 AM

If $300 Canadian is what you have I would pick up a used Remington 870, Winchester 1300, or Mossberg pump shotgun. Load it with either standard Foster slugs of 00 Buck shot. You're looking for a defensive weapon for a close range encounter with a bear. The 12 gauge loaded properly will handle the job.

C. Davis 09-02-2005 10:01 AM

Just hold both of your hands high in the air, and look big. Then walk up to the griz and box him on both ears.

Just kidding.

I would not only go with the 12 guage pump, but I would also practice with it enough to get used to the recoil, especially if you are only accustomed to a .22 cal.

C. Davis

Swampdog 09-02-2005 10:13 AM

Remington 870 super express. Slug barrel with rifle sights.8 round swat magazine adapter.3 1/2" slugs.good hearing and eyes.Also great home defense with # 4 buck.

cuchullainn 09-02-2005 11:07 AM

Well thanks for the feedback. I would like to use a bolt action rifle with a magazine that shouldnt be too hard to get off a second shot. The reason behind that is so I can use it for target practise too. Is the reason for no choke that the slug will destroy the barrel on a full choke? I might get the 12 gauge with slugs if the rifle is still not a good idea. how does this one sound? I heard a 30 06 is very powerful.

Remington 7400 Weathermaster
stainless, semi-auto 30-06

$689.99

I might be able to get together a few more bucks for a good gun.

The ammo for the 30 06 looks kind of pricey though.
Anyone try that golden bear ammo or whatever its called? Its really cheap, will it destroy the gun? Thanks, Cuchullainn.

spuddog 09-02-2005 11:17 AM

I would strongly suggest that you consider pepper spray. I'm getting the feeling that your experience with guns is very limited.

Spud

cuchullainn 09-02-2005 11:20 AM

Pepper spray? The bear will probally tell me its built up a tolerance to it and pull down my pants and rape me. [&o]

spuddog 09-02-2005 11:33 AM

Nice! Hope you find your happy place and that there are no bears to bother you.

lovethebigguns 09-02-2005 02:06 PM

"$689.99

I might be able to get together a few more bucks for a good gun. "

Hey partner, if you can dish out $700 you've opened up a lot of possibilities for yourself! You can buy a rifle, weather it's bolt action or a lever -gun that can just about stop a griz in it's tracks!
You can buy just about any bolt action Winchester and Remington makes for close to that, in a caliber that will take down an elephant on an african safari.
You can also get a Winchester lever gun in the powerful 444 or 450 Marlin, or you can get a Marlin lever gun in either of these calibers, plus Marlin offers the 45-70 in theirs.

That is the route I'd recommend. If a griz is running at you a 30-06 WILL kill him, BUT a big bore lever gun or a shotgun will stop him faster (in my opinion) plus one of these will cost you $500 or less. And if you've never shot a lever action rifleyou will appreciate the speed at which you can sholder them and geta few good accurate shots off, and most of these big bore guns will hold at least 5 or 7 rounds.

Again I'd almost say, please don't get a semi-auto. You may be able to fire 1,000 rounds through it without a jam, and with some of today's quality guns you can exceed that but it will jam up at one point or another, and that time could be when that griz is coming at ya!

max the dog 09-02-2005 06:46 PM

I still say you should get a shotgun. It won't cost you much but it can deal out more death in less time than any other rifle I can think of except say an M-60 on full auto. As a bonus you can use it to hunt with while you're out in the field camping. Just pop out the bear killer cartridge and push in a shell loaded with 6 or 7 shot and you got a bunny for dinner.

bigbulls 09-02-2005 07:44 PM

They don't call the Remington 7400 "jam-amatic" for nothing.

Are you not listening to any of the advice we are giving you?

If you are buying a gun specifically for the purpose of being able to stop a Grizzly bear attack then forget about any gun chambered in a cartridge with a bullet smaller than .338 inches. This would start at the 338 Winchester magnum and go up from there.

Forget about a semi auto rifle. You can bet that if you need it to save your life it will jam up. You may have fired 10,000 rounds before hand but that one jam will be when the rare bear decides you are food. And besides that most do not fire a cartridge larger than a 300 magnum. While it is definetly a bear killing cartridge it is not a bear stopping cartridge.

You want a firearm that will throw large and heavy chunks of lead at the bear. This would include cartridges such as the 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin, 375 H&H, 375 JDJ, 458 Winchester, and the 12 Gga shotgun firing slugs or large buckshot.

cuchullainn 09-02-2005 07:55 PM

Ok thanks for your advice guys. I will look into a rifle at those calibers. If it was just soley for bear protection, I would get the shotty, nice and cheap. But I want to shoot oranges cans and maybe hunt a few things while Im out there.

bigbulls 09-02-2005 08:13 PM

Uhm, didn't you say?

Don't want to hunt grizzlys I just need a caliber that will drop one if I come across it while camping.
If you would have told us in the first place that you wanted it to also be used for big game hunting you could have saved a lot of typing.

cuchullainn 09-02-2005 09:27 PM

No thats not what I meant. To stop a Grizzly and yes target practise and anything that is edible I will shoot cut up and eat at my campfire. I hunt for food, not big game in paticular. If I see a rabbit, if im a good enough shot I will shoot it in the head - saving the meat. Hopefully it wont be moving.

StrutnBPS 09-02-2005 10:16 PM

Lets see, you want something you can plink cans with, shoot a rabbit for dinner..................AND kill a charging grizzly? IN THE SAME GUN/RIFLE?

Thats your problem right there. You want two things that are WAY on the opposite ends of the stick.

Its kinda like saying you want a Dozer and a Golf Cart in the same vehicle.[:'(]

You don't want to shoot a rabbit with a 06'. Trust me. And at most 06' (Quality) ammo being around $20+ box, you don't want to plink too many cans.

I would suggest buying a 12ga. as mentioned the Winchester 1300 would be fine. Take some slugs for the bears. And take a couple boxes of bird shot for rabbits, birds, and target shooting.

Shooting skeets, thrown cans, or anything like that can be just as fun as shooting a paper target at 100yds.

It also seems to me that as stated above, you aren't too knowledgable about guns/rifles. So, take some bear spray and at least practice with the gun/rifle that you buy. BEFORE you head out to the woods.

StrutnBPS 09-02-2005 10:16 PM

Also....someone said something about a 3.5'' slug? Who makes a 3.5'' slug???

dkross 09-03-2005 12:16 AM

I am new to this board and not that well versed in guns, but in my opion he is having fun jerking our chains.

He ignores good advice and throws a new twist in every so often.

cuchullainn 09-03-2005 12:46 AM

Im not jerking anyone. Just needed some advice. Probally will go with the shotty save some money for gas.

pig dog 02 09-03-2005 02:49 AM

This was a painful thread to read. Almost everyone said get a 12 gauge with slugs or a big bore lever gun...I agree. But then this guy says he's looking at a Rem 7400 in 30-06 for almost $700. Silly Canadian.

dvdegeorge 09-03-2005 05:17 AM

Maybe you should just camp in your yard!Also the pepper spray might not be agood idea for you after all,if you point it the wrong way you'll spray yourself!

biscuit jake 09-03-2005 06:48 AM

When I have backpacked up North I have carried a Ruger SBH in 44 Mag w/300 grain loads. Not that I think it was the best choice, but a chance, and I was already pretty heavily loaded. But that it is not cheap. I would otherwise go 12 gauge pump. Also, shoot what you carry. Make sure it works with you first.

Maine Shooter 09-03-2005 07:17 AM

:D Just gotta laugh at this thread. Got a friend like this as well. Soo concerned about needing a defensive gun in the woods against bears, yet wants to spend nothing to get the proper gun and settles on a lesser powerful model. If you'reTHAT worried about needing the grizzley gun because of attack, isn't this gun pretty much being bought to save your life? How much is your life worth to you? Skimp on the gun and you skimp on your chances of surviving an encounter.

Silly canuck. ;)

heeze gutshot shortee 09-03-2005 02:42 PM

HEY cuchu man stop clownin.. get a MOSSBERG 500 ATP pistol grip 9 shot capacity chambered for 2 3/4 and 3in shells w/sling got a couple ....if you is seerus maybe we can deel

personal safety aint never been cheap , ya dig????

C. Davis 09-03-2005 03:33 PM

If you get the .22, be sure you aim for the eye.

C. Davis