Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Well...Bought a new gun today!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Well...Bought a new gun today!!!

It wasnt any of the guns I'd asked or thought about but it was love at first sight! I saw her, shouldered her and my oh my! She's a 7mm Weatherby magnum Euromark. She's satin finished with dark grainy walnut (think the color of Kimber M8400 with prettier wood). I picked her up for $795.00 with bases & rings. Mounted my VX-I on her and called it good. Next year I will put a VXIII on her but the wife sez I'm done for now. I have never seen a WM more beautifull or with this satin finish. All the ones I'd seen were always heavy, heavy gloss. This gun appears to almost never have been fired...nary a mark on the stock and the bore looks essentially brand new...you think the price was okay? Not that I really care. I was very impressed with a new Rem M700 CDL I saw earlier in the day and was really leaning that way for the $620.00 at Sportco. But I held out, went to my favorite gun trader just to make sure they didnt have "the One". And, low and behold, a guy had just brought this gun in as a consignment. He was a guy that had alot of nice guns and just never used the 7mmWM. Well, I can tell you she's about to get some serious use! How'd I do????
Old 08-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Well...Bought a new gun today!!!

Nice purchase and nice caliber.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:11 AM

Well i love my 7mmWby,and i,m sure you will fall more in love with it as time goes bye,and you begin to shoot it!
It is a nice cartridge,and mine has done everything i asked of it and more. vangunsmith
Old 08-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

congrats on your purchase pinto. good luck and good shooting
Old 08-27-2005, 07:38 PM

well congragulations.

THAT IS FAIR
i like that caliber for ammo look at the weatherby 160 partition b/c .475. well hope you like it tell us how it shots
Old 08-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Great to hear, lots of luck and be safe!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Pinto I'm sure you have a new fav. The 7WM is a real "doer" and the Euromark is ever the truely "functional, yet still beautiful and classy looking hunting rifle". Pricewise yours sounds about right, most of the used Euros that I have seen for the last year or so on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com were bringing about that. Around $500 or so less than most Deluxe Mk Vs. Theres nothing wrong with the VX I btw, they have Multicoat 4 coating on the exterior lenses!

Good luck and enjoy,
RA
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 PM

Funny about the mark V deluxes being priced higher. To me the euromark is much more pleasing to the eye in every way. The high gloss finish and lighter color of the other mark V's just isnt as nice as the satin finished ddark walnut to me. This gun is almost NIB. In fact if it was to be put in the box and put infront of you you would never know it had been used. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Guess I better learn how to reload. What would be the initial cost for just the 7mm WM rounds -reloading equipment etc. And please suggest an entry level set up for me & learning tools.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:41 AM

Pinto how much shooting do you think you'll do with the 7? That should dictate whether or not you invest in reloading equipment. I haven't been around reloading equipment for several years now (my brothers place quit carrying it several years ago) so I honestly am not up on prices for the new stuff. 15 years ago my wife bought me a simple RCBS starter package (can't honestly remember what the press was called for sure but I want to say it was the Rockchucker and not something like a Lil Partner.) but anyway the whole package was only like $150-$200 and it included the essentials like press, scale, primer tray, shell holder, loading block, chamfer too, de-primer and maybe a few extras. Again, just very basic. I haven't reloaded in years and if I was to start again I would want a digital scale, a powder trickler and a case trimmer.

I believe you can find some used kits on various websites (maybe even on here in the classifieds?) for sure you can find dies for $20 or so on Ebay. Powder, bullets, primers and brass will also need to be purchased. I would estimate that since you have none of that for a brand new rifle I would think you are gonna spend around $300-$500 (or more) to get started. That's sounds high intially but once you have the basics you need only periodic purchases of powder, primers and bullets and maybe an occasional lot of brass.

Reloading can be fun and gratifying for sure, that's as much the reason some do it as anything else. Strictly from a monetary point of view, you would have to shoot a couple hundred rounds a year to make it worth it for you to get started. If you don't think you are going to shoot that much then just get a couple of boxes of factory ammo and be done with it. Personally I would recommend the 150Barnes X offering of Weatherby's for EVERYTHING. That is a one bullet, one gun load for anything you are likely to tackle with the big 7! Typically they are around $50-$60 a box for that offering. For a lil cheaper target or plinkin load you can get the 139 Hornady Interlock from Weatherby for about $40 a box. Weatherby also offers Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions in various weights for the 7 Wby. The 160 Partition offering is also priced about the same as the Xbullet and would be a one load/one gun deal as well. Remington used to offer some 140 Corelokts for the 7Wby and they were around $30 a box. I wouldn't hunt with those, but if you could find some anywhere, they would be a cheap alternative for just shooting up.

Another alternative is to pay a buddy of yours who already reloads! Just buy a set of dies, powder, bullets, cases and primers of your choice and pay him a dollar a round or something for the time. That's something that alot of folks don't think about but is a real time saver for you and yet you still get the benefits of custom loads. Personally I would go with the 120 Barnes TSX for anything up too Caribou and go with 140TSXs for anything larger. The 7Wby will SLING those bullets plenty fast to make a "lasergun" out of it, but those bullets will still bore holes in anything that gets in their way!

Good luck and have fun,
RA
Old 09-03-2005, 03:07 AM

Nice. Great caliber.

Quick Reply: Well...Bought a new gun today!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.