Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE >

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE

Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Host of Hosts

Default IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE

I have a tough choice to make, so maybe some of you can help me make the decision. I have no choice but to sell off a rifle. I have to decide between a Remington Model 700 Classic in 7mm08 that shoots my140 grainhandloads at 1 inch and better at 100 yards or a Weatherby Vangaurd in .308 thats shoots 1 inch groups withfactory ammo. I like both rifles equally well. I like the synthetic stock on the Vangaurd for hunting purposes and like the fact that ammo costs are much lower in price than the 7mm08, because I no longer reload so once I'm out of my handloads I'll either have to find someone to load some or go to factory ammo which doesn't shoot all that great in the 7mm08. The Rem has a very nice piece of walnut and I shot my biggest buck ever last year with it. I have heard alot of people complain about Remington's quality over the last decade or so and have heard mostly good things from owners of the Vangaurds. I wish I could keep bothbut that isn't an option.

What would you do?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE

I'd keep the Weatherby.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 PM

I'd keep the weatherby also. Sorry you got sell one.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Same here. I would keep the Weatherby myself.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Host of Hosts

Thanks Guys for giving your opinions. I thought for sure that the Remington guys would be speaking out on this.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM

The Weatherby......you mean the HOWA. The Vanguard model has always actually been made by Howa, in Japan. Nothing wrong with that...and I've heard good things about them. As to which one I'd choose....to be honest, I have no idea. On second thought, I suppose I might choose the Howa (well, it IS)...because of the .308 round. The 7mm-08 is a great round as well, but as you say, you don't handload. .308 ammo is available, including good 7.62 NATO surplus for practice, all over...and (relatively) cheaply. If the Weather-Howa is accurate and does all that you wish it to, I guess I'd keep it.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd keep the vanguard as well.

Not because of the caliber but because IMHO it is a better rifle than the Remington. Not that Rem's are bad rifles but the vanguard has so many more and better features that the Rem.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the Weatherby. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM

I'm not a Weatherby fan, but given 7-08 vs. 308Win., and for the other reasons you cited - KEEP THE WEATHERBY.
Good luck.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would keep the Remington classic. If for no other reason the classics won't be made anymore and it will have good collector value.

Quick Reply: IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.