Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 two basic bullet theories >

two basic bullet theories

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

two basic bullet theories

Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: two basic bullet theories

It all depends on what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting varmints, like coyotes or bobcats for the hides, I prefer they not have an exit wound. For deer and bigger game, I would prefer an exit wound if the animal doesn't die in place.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

It all depends on what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting varmints, like coyotes or bobcats for the hides, I prefer they not have an exit wound. For deer and bigger game, I would prefer an exit wound if the animal doesn't die in place.
Good point.

I meant deer hunting but might not have qualified that.
thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 07:37 PM

In an ideal world we would want a heavy bullet that travels at astronomical speed, that expands violently, but retains 100% of its weight to keep its penetrating power up. This magic bullet would hit game accurately, mushroom up to twice its normal size, and deposit 99.9% of its energy inside the animal with just enough oomph to barely push its way through the off side of the animal to leave a blood trail. Now THAT would be perfect!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me see. Big fat bullet. Big fat hole. Where does that fit in with the theories? Why worry about expansion, retained bullet weight, hydrostatic shock and the tooth fairie when you can create a big hole with no voodoo?

Well, I admit I have used fast .224 bullets to blow up little critters. Perhaps that is my bad side.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
bigcountry

Uh oh, we got a Col. Cooper fan in the house.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

#2 has always worked for me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Number 1
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I subscribe to theory #2. But its not as cut and dry as just #1or #2!
I am goining to base this on big game starting with deer,light thin skinned, weight 100-300+ pounds. They are not all that hard to kill with good calibers and good bullets For me, I want a well consructed bullet that will totally disrupt the deers life support system, and exit for a goodblood trail! Just because a bullet stays in the body dose not necesisarly mean that it did a good job or not. It could just be aweaker bullet that dooes'nt do much damage, and dies inside the deer. Then there are the better ones that wreak havok inside the deer , but do not exit.
I just prefer a bullet that does it's job well inside the deer, then exits, leaving a great trail to follow.
I am always amused by the gun writers question,"at what point in the deers death did your bullet fail you?"
Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have experienced both and I can tell you I dont like having to follow tracks or just the direction the animal went with no blood trail ie;#1. As I watch my fellow hunters take deer I have seen and witnessed a dozen or so run offs with ballistic tip bullets. They will never be in my deer hunting rifle.But I do like the big hole ( wound channel ) from my 45/70 300 gr. Mostly I hunt with my .270 win or my .270wsm loaded with sierra pro hunter 130 gr. gotta love'em.It to can have a bad day in the field but for the most part if you do yours it will kill clean and affective.

Dan
Old 08-25-2005, 05:19 AM

2. Hands down

Quick Reply: two basic bullet theories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.