Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for a new deer hunting rifle. >

Looking for a new deer hunting rifle.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a new deer hunting rifle.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a new deer hunting rifle.

As the topic suggests, I am looking for my first deer rifle. On the suggestiong of a few friends I was thinking that perhaps the stainless steel rifles are the way to go. I have done a bit of research and have narrowed it down to either a Browning Stainless Stalker or the Weatherby Vanguard Stainless. Do any of you have any opinions on these rifles? Caliber-wise, I've been looking at either .270 Win, .308 Win, or a 30-06. Again, any opinions on those, specifically the .270, which I've been told (but have read to the contrary) lacks the power for deer hunting. Finally, for a scope I've looked at both the Nikon Monarch and the Burris Fullfield II. If you have any tips, advice, suggestions, or opinions, your thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a new deer hunting rifle.

welcome mantra any of the calibers mentioned are fine for deer and most anything that walks the north american continent short of the big bears, the 270 has killed plenty of deer, you choice of guns and optics are also fine, i will add that the simmons aetec scopes are very nice and most here like them, and they are priced decent also, best of luck let us know what you end up with
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the 270-winchester for several years of deer hunting. The 270-winchester has plenty of power for killing deer. The recoil of te 270 is mild also.
I have never owned a Browning or a Weaherby Vangaurd rifle, so I can not help you there. I am sure either of the two would be a good choice.
I do own a Burris Fulfield II scope. If I had to pick between the Nikon Monarch & the Burris, I would pick the Nikon every time.

Let us know what you decide,

Wolf Killer
Old 08-20-2005, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a Model 116 Savage in 30-06 with a 3 x 9 x 40mmFullfield 2 scope. It is very accurate and lighter than most. Total weight is approx 7.25 lbs. The gun and scope both exceeded my expectations. If you choose the Fullfield 2 keep your eyes open for the special with either the binoculars or spotting scope for $199.00. Recoil is at my limit but wanted a gun that I would be able to take elk hunting once or twice in my life. If you are strickly hunting deer and smaller game the 7mm-08 is a great caliber also.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Spike

The 270 is a good deer round as is the others. As for the rifles you will need to handle them both to see which one feels and fits you the best as both are good rifles. Both scopes mentioned are good scopes but the Nikon Monarch is the better of the two, IMHO
Old 08-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

There has been lots of controversy about the 270 being good enough for elk but I don’t see a problem for deer. Maybe it has something to do with poor bullet selection but I know for my self, I’m looking forward to this season with my 270wsm. Either of the three you mentioned should work for deer without a problem.

As for optics I have a Nikon Gold and find it to be an excellent choice of scope. Very clear so the Monarch should be close in quality. I’ve never looked at the Burris scope so I can’t comment on them and the Browning and Weatherby rifles have never interested me. Good luck in your choice.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Mantra002

As the others have said, any of the calibers you mentioned are just fine for deer. I happend to choose the 7mm-08 though.

You mentioned that you had looked at the Burris Fullfield II. This is what I use on my 7mm-08 and it is an excellent scope for the money. Make sure you take a closer look at the Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle.This reticle has additional aim points on the virticle cross hair for 200, 300, 400, and 500 Yds. With standard cartridge velocities you sight in dead on at 100 Yds then you will me more or less on target at the longer ranges using the appropriate aim point. With magnum trajectories you sight in at 200then use theaim points for 300, 400, 500 & 600Yes.

If you hand load, you can tune your loads so that the bullet trajectory matches the Bplex aim point trajectories almost exactly. I've got a 7mm-08 load worked up for 154 Hornady Round Nose bullets. As you can imagine, this bullet starts dropping like a stone after 250 Yds or so. Even so, tuned to the BPlex trajectory, the load is within a halfinch of aim point at 100, 200, and 300 Yds.

Withmore streamlined bullets you can generally stay within aninch of aimpoint all the wayout to 500 Yds.

Great scope / great reticle

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 08-20-2005, 11:17 AM

Mantra,

As someone who has been selling firearms for about 20 years and listening to customer feedback, I'd say both rifles you are debating buying are excellent as are your caliber choices. Can't go wrong with any combo. Let me speak to the Simmons Aetec scope, however, imho it is the best buy out there today.

Good luck & good shooting!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Dominant Buck

"Looking for a new deer hunting rifle."

Deer/mulie any size and weight.... .270!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or 6.5x55

Quick Reply: Looking for a new deer hunting rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.