Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 different bullets >

different bullets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

different bullets

Old 08-11-2005, 01:15 PM

Default different bullets

I was wondering lets say you have a scoped gun sighted in with a certain ammunition and you switched ammo. The gun should stay sighted in left to right and just have to be moved up or down depending on the velocity of the gun, right? let me hear your thoughts it will much appreciated
Old 08-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: different bullets

IMHO,it may be anywhere! It may even be close on.Also,it depends on how big of groups you call ON?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Switching to different kind of ammo may or may not change your impact point in any direction. It also might effect how the rifle groups at different yardages. The only way to really know is to try it and see what happens.

If it does change it should not change much. My biggest concern would be how the new ammo grouped.

Are you talking about having a deer load and a varmint load out of the same rifle? If you are I would set it up for the varmint load and then see where the heavier deer load ends up. Varmint hunting is usually at longer ranges and more precise than big game hunting. Not that I wouldn't strive for accuracy in big game load. But if it wasn't perfect I don't think it would keep you from getting game at average distances like 100-200 yards.

If your just talking about finding a new load to use I would try several until you find the one that groups the best and then re-zero your scope when you find something you are happy with.

Paul
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you switch ammo you could get lucky and it will hit exactly where the others did or it could be several inches off in any direction verticaly and horrizontaly.

There is nothing to say that brand "X" ammo will strike within ______ inches of brand "Y" ammo.

You MUST shoot the ammo to find out.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have noticed a change in point of impact of up to 3" at 100 yards by changing only the style of bullet.The brand andweight of the bullet,and the powder charge were exactly the same in both cases.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:56 PM
DM

Not only could and probable would other ammo change the POI, (point of impact) but even the same brand of ammo with the same bullet weight"could" also need resighting! That is,"if" the number on the inside of the flap on the ammo box is different between the two boxes.

Always check the POA if "anything" changes with the ammo.

Drilling Man

Old 08-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have also found to be quite a difference in point of impact between 2 different styles of bullet so you better test them out before going out for hunting. You just might be surprised with the outcome.