Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk >

300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Old 08-08-2005, 08:55 PM

Default 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Well, it's pretty straight forward in the title. I want to knowwhich round,300 win mag or the 7mm Rem mag, isbetter for deer and elk,or possibly even moose or carribou (I originally was looking for a grizzley round, but lets be honest,I'm probably never going to huntgrizzley.) Which one is better for...

clean kill,
flatter trajectory,
cheaper (not a big factor, but helps),
recoil (I probably should mention that the 300 win mag rifle I'm looking at only weighs 6 1/2 pounds)

And I'm left handed, and have narrowed down my choice to 2 discountinued Weatherby left handed bolt action rifles, so please don't suggest others, as these were hard enough to find.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

I am going to recommend the 300-win mag. I am only picking the 300-win mag because I hunt with one. I have killedseveralelk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope & black bear with my 300-win mag. My 300-win mag has been my go-to rifle for about 18-years. The 300 win mag will not let you down.
I am not knocking the 7mm-Remington. I have just never owned/hunted with one.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

This thread may be of some use to you.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1138475
Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Pound for pound you can load a heavier bullet with more speed than you can with a 300 win mag than a 7mm mag. Okay now if you only shoot 200yds. period then I would suggest avoiding the recoil and shoot a 30-06 with 220gr bullets and not worry about the rest of the hype.

I shoot a 300win mag but I shoot 165gr bullets and I shoot them for tragectory. When it comes to killing something the shot placement will over come the bullet size no matter what. The difference is aiming inside the body at 400yds plus and aiming outside the body. Some special men outthere can do it with any gun they pick up.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 AM

for deer and elk id suggest the 7mm i own one and love it my 7mm runs bout 6 lbs and does kick quite a bit but im a big guy and can handle it. but when you said moose id get a 300 if you where for sure that youd be hunting them. caribou is a lighter game smaller than elk so the 7mm would work fine. so i guess id sugest the 7mm since i love the cartridge so much. and well its a good long range bullet to. 1shot
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help guys. After looking at the other thread, it appears that this debate is just a toss up.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeap a toss up is right. I am not sure why so many think moving into hunting moose requires a 30 cal or heavy lead. Having hunted these animals all of my life I don't find them nearly as tough as an elk, so anything that will take an elk will take a moose. Here the most common cartridge in the forest chasing swamp donkey's has to be 3006 and most hunters use a 180 gr bullet. If you go with a 7mm mag, their is nothing a 180/30cal will do that a 160/284 cal will equal. Bullet construction and shot placement are the most important factors to consider..if you cover these areas then no moose or elk will know the difference.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

My father let his friend borrow his (mine now) Winchester model 88 in 308 Win. to use on a Maine moose hunt. He used Remington 180 gr Core-Lokt ammo. He shot a moose at about 50 yard in the heart/lung area. It ran about 40 to 50 yards and that was it! My friend went on a moose hunt inBritish Columbia, Canada. He bought a new Winchester model 70 in 300 Winchester Short Mag.He shot his moose at about 250 yards in the heart/lung area as well, it ran about 50 yards or so!
Me personally, I'm a HUGE280 Remington fan. Forelk or anything largerI would use eitherFederal's 160gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or their 160 gr.Nosler AccuBond ammo. Like I said I really love my 280 Rem. but if I was starting from scratch, I wouldtake a really long hard look at the 30-06 Spr. it just keeps getting older and older and there is a reason for that, it works great!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 PM

both guns can kill and kill effectively on any game from deer to moose and elk size. both are flat shooters. both have tremendous speeds. and both offer alot of power. this is a good toss-up. but, when it comes down to it, you can examine the differences by the bullet's diameter and the old equations for sectional density. bullet weight as to bullet diameter. which basically determines whatsize of wound a bullet that size would leave in theparticular game you are hunting. wich also deterimes the "bleed wound" or how much faster the animal (COULD) bleed out if a larger would was put in the animal.looking at it from this aspect, i would recomend the 300 win mag. especially if you are thinking elk and moose. but , i have also read articles on plenty of hunters using 7mm.s for elk and larger and the outcome is the same( a dead elk). there is only few differences in ballistics. but most differences are just seen in bullet diameter and bullet weight offered in these calibers. both are effective.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM

they are both good for what your asking about. The 300win has an edge,bigger bullets at the same speed.

Quick Reply: 300 win mag vs 7mm Rem mag for deer/elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.