Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What is a good cartridge for elk? >

What is a good cartridge for elk?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is a good cartridge for elk?

Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 PM

Default What is a good cartridge for elk?

well what is a good cartridge for elk (50-350 yards)????
Old 07-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is a good cartridge for elk?

This outta be real intersting with this crowd. I predict .243 to 577 TRexwith lots of name calling. Get a good seat.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

First off I am saying that shot placement is by far and away the most important component of building a good elk rifle. Or any other rifle as far as that goes. I have been around hunting for a long time and as far as Elk cartridges go I would rate the 260 and 6.5x55 at the lower end of my comfort zone. The 7MM-08 and 7x57 Mauser would improve the comfort feeling. The 270, 280 7mm Rem Mag are in the middle of my Ideal zone. The 8x57, 35 Whelen and 338-06 are right in there with a bit heavier bullet. For close range the 35 Remington 44 Mag, 444, 450 and 45-70 can't be beat. All the 300 Mags,338's 8MMags are good elk cartridges but way more than I would ever use( personal Preference) and found from Expierence that I just didn't need to go to although I tried most all of them except for the very new ones. Any of these rifles given a hit through the vitals mean that you will be packing out and eating elk.

Ok right in the middle, Give me the tired old worn out, non exciting, boring, 30-06 and I will be happy. However I wouldn't give up the old Swede either. The fastest I ever saw an elk go down is one I shot right where the chest and neck join with a 300 grain bullet from a 44 Mag TC contender The shot was about 70 yards and he was walking right at me. Even though I was in plain sight, I don't think he had any idea that I was there. The gun went boom and he was on the ground.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:03 AM

If i were buying a rifle purely for Elk i would buy a .338, but thats just me. I am using my .300 win mag with premium bullets for everything right now.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to buy only one rifle for elk hunting, it would be chambered in 338-Win. mag.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:43 AM

300 ultra mag 180 gr.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 AM

I concur with Jame B. on this. There are a variety of suitable rounds. I always used a 7mm magnum myself. I chose it simply in case I needed to shoot at a bit longer ranges. This never happened, in fact. the longest shot on Elk I ever took was about 240 yards. In my experience, a .30/06 would have done just fine. Even a .308 would have been acceptable. I mention this because it is pertinent to your consideration. That is, the maximum range at which you might shoot - this is the most important consideration. You mentioned 50 to 350 yards, I believe. Well, at 250 yards or less, you have a huge choice of rounds. Many will do just fine, though personally, I'd go with something 7mm or larger. Beyond 250 yards, the choices narrow somewhat. If you intend to shoot Elk at ranges beyond 250 yards, in MY opinion (and I shall NOT participate in any arguments on this - other opinions may differ), then I would consider the .30/06 as a minimum. That would do just fine. You don't necessarily need a magnum round, even beyond 250 yards. However, if shooting Elk beyond about 350 yards, (again, in MY opinion), I would then choose a magnum....7mm, the various .300 magnums, .338, etc.

As to what maximum range you plan for - that is up to you. As I said, in my particular (actual) experience....something like a .30/06, a .270, .308, etc. would have sufficed. However, one cannot always be sure of getting closer than 250 yards. I have never trusted myself beyond 250 yards - so I have always made it a point to get closer than that, or forego the shot. I was perhaps lucky, in being able to do that for all three of my Elk kills. In making your decision, you need to consider this issue carefully.

One other thing. Whatever round you choose, it would be best to be sure to use a "premium" bullet. There are many different types that will work. I always used the Nosler Partition, with good results. But, do use good ones, by all means.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

After all the smoke clears the guy with the elk is probably holding a .30-06.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would definately recommend the 30-06. you won't have a problem finding ammo where ever you go, you won't get beat to death by recoil, and you have a huge aray of ammo choices so you can hunt pretty much anything to your hearts desire.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
DM

I'm with the 30-06 camp, and if i "just had to have" a magnum, it would be a 7mm Rem. mag..

Useing the proper bullets, the 30-06 will work well on everything in N.A. as will the 7 mag..

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: What is a good cartridge for elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.