Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 open or peep? >

open or peep?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

open or peep?

Old 07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default open or peep?

Well since I'm going to sell the scope on my winchester 30-30 i'm not sure if I should use the open sights orI should purchase peep sights. How much, if any, of an advantage is there is using a peep sight over an open. How muchdo they cost and also where canI find them.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: open or peep?

check out www.brownells.com for sights and prices

Personally I like peeps for targeting and open for hunting.....but there's plenty of folks that use peeps for hunting.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with a peep sight. Peep sights are easier to get the proper sight alignment with becausea persons brain instinctively tries tocenter the front sight post in the peep aperature. Peep sights are both fast and accurate. The militaryhas used peep sights onmost of it's rifles for the last75+ years for a good reason. Just make sure that theaperaturesizeyou choose is suitable for the conditions you intend to use itfor. The M16A2+/M4 series rifles havetwo different aperatures, a small one for daylight and long range, andthe large "0-2" sight for short range and nighttime use.A smaller peep willbe more accurateto longer ranges, but will not allow much light through and will be next to worthless at dawn/dusk. The opposite is true for a largeaperature;somewhat less accurateat all ranges, but usable in low lightconditions.

Mike
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM

well im a fan of open sites. no need for fancy things.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Peeps all the way. The USMC had us shooting at 500 with them. They work.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I took off the iron sights on my Marlin 444, cut and recrowned the barrel just behind the front dovetail and filled the rear dovetail with a blank. Then installed a Marbles universal ramped peep sight over the rear dovetail and a hooded ramped front sight over the muzzle.

Peep sights give much quicker target aquasition than standard notched iron sights and are every bit as accurate and even more so.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:49 PM

Go with a receiver mounted peep sight. Front sight bead should be white in color - small or large, depends on you. Don't worry, you won't "lose" sight ofthe white bead with snow in the background.
Best sights, IMO, are made by Williams.Check out the 5-D or, and my favorite, the FoolProof models. The FP is a little more expensive, but worth it. Very pricise. Get a "Twighlight" aparture for the rear/peep sight. It has a larger opening. You can always get additional apartures later, with smaller holes, if you want to use it/them for any more precise target shooting. The larger aparture just makes it easier & quicker toget things aligned quickly, and gives you a bigger "picture" (field of view, sort of).
Here's alink to Williams website:
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

love pepe sights , there easy as hell to shoot with. my first .22 had them and that alli used. but shot todate with its is 120 yards on a gopher. i kno its bs shot but what the hell i made it .
Old 07-30-2005, 07:45 AM

I use (and recommend) tandem aperture sights - a front AND rear aperture (or "peep"). Very easy to use, quick to acquire the target....and for me, more accurate than with a standard front blade, they are. Being able to look THROUGH the front aperture, rather than have the front sight actually block part of the view of the target, helps very much as well.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: redsox3624

Well since I'm going to sell the scope on my winchester 30-30 i'm not sure if I should use the open sights orI should purchase peep sights. How much, if any, of an advantage is there is using a peep sight over an open. How muchdo they cost and also where canI find them.
Put a Williams Foolproof aperture (PEEP) sight on it! Aperture sights are infinitely superior to any open sight! Much more accurate and faster to use, and they don't obscure any part of the deer! You can buy them from Brownell's, or Williams Gun Sight Corp. http://www.williamsgunsight.com

Zero it, then unscrew that insert diskthat has the small hole, and use it as a "ghost ring" for hunting. Once the Foolproof is zeroed, you can lock the adjustments and never have to fool with the sight again!!

Quick Reply: open or peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.