Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 not sure what to do with my 30-30 >

not sure what to do with my 30-30

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

not sure what to do with my 30-30

Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default not sure what to do with my 30-30

back in Ferbuary i purchased a used, but in good condition, Winchester model 94 in 30-30. It came with a 4X weaver scope on see through weaver mounts. The scope is not straight on the rifle. I've taken it off and put it back on but it is still off line. I'm not sure ifI should take it toa gun shop and see if i can get new mounts and have him put it on straight or ifI should just remove the scope and shoot through the iron sights.
I'm only 15 so i don't have that much money, how much would it cost to have it fixed. Also how accurate are the iron sights on a 94. I live in Maine so my shot won' t be over 100 yards.
I just looked at the scope and it's a weaver 400 classic. Does anyone know how much that is worth?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: not sure what to do with my 30-30

The scope typically is mounted with some offset, because of the top-eject action. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Shoot it. If it does not sight in, then you do have a problem.

I love lever guns with a peep sight, like those made by Williams. They are fine out to 100 yds.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Great gun and scope combination that has probably been responsible for more deer kills than any other gun. Hopefully it is only a bent scope mount. I would take it to a gunsmith and have an expert opinion. If you chose to remove the scope it will still be really effective out to 100 yds. I use a Rem 7600 in 06 with an openpeep when I hunt Maine or New Hampshire because of the thick woods and limited visibility. If I need to shoot fast and accurately it is super. I have a red front fire sight and I painted the large ring on the peep with red finger nail polish. Pull up and you have a brown deer against a white snow background with a red dot in a red circle. Fast and deadly and the whole package is light to carry when still hunting the miles necessary in that type of terrain
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, putting a scope on a Win 94 is akin to mounting a winch on the front os a Geo Metro. It just gets in the way. Win 94 an Marlin 336's were designed as short to medium range, quick handling firearms. You would be much better served with iron sights, or better yet a peep sight.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I also agree with Frizz.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

....a winch on a Geo Metro! ROFL!!!!!

Here's two images of my beautiful Marlin 30-30.... One without a scope and one (current setup) with an old Glenfield 4x32 scope. Which one looks better to you?

With a Winchester 94 having top eject, you must use the see-thru rings, and they do leave a lot to be desired.... One bump, and you'll throw off your zero and worse, one good bump and you could bend or damage one of the rised up rings.

My own opinion? I'd take the scope off and leave it off. I've shot my Marlin without the scope and it does great at 50 yards easy. 100 yards with open sights is tough but do-able. I picked up the 4x32 scope because at 100 yards, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. [&o]
Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 PM

yea but how cool would that be a geo with a winch...... and a liftkit NICE!! i have a marlin with a 4x scope on top of it, i just use it at very long ranges 100-125 (for a 3030 thats long) and to look out the distance and see if something has horns.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Just to add another 2 cents worth. Nice pics Butcha. The stock doesn't have a raised comb which hinders being able to pull the gun up and quickly aquire a target through a scope. It causes you to pick your cheek up or tilt your head which isn't all that great for accuracy. The gun was made to be used with open sights or a peep. Pull off the scope and enjoy a really great gun.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:18 PM

man i wish i was 15 again. i would go with the open sights if your eyes are good. i took alot of pride knowing that i could hit just about anything i could see within the range of the old 32 special that i had. i was pretty depressed when i went from open sights to a scope because of my eyes. for years i thought that using a scope to deer hunt was like cheating. but i got over that in a hurry. practice and give the open sights a try i think you will do fine with them. good luck and get the big one.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scrap the see thru mounts as they are crap and just use iron sights or a peep sight. There are a number of very good aftermarket peep sighting systems available out there that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

If you do want to put a scope on a 94 the only really good and secure way is to get yourself an XS sight systems scope mount and an extended eye relief scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.