Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 BLR vs Rem Model 7 >

.308 BLR vs Rem Model 7

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 BLR vs Rem Model 7

Old 07-08-2005, 09:32 AM

Default .308 BLR vs Rem Model 7

My head is spinning: I thought that I was totally set on the BLR in .308, but many have been talking aboutthe BLR having trigger problems and not many ppl/shops will work on it (not to mention its prie tag); I've been checking out Remington's site and the Model 7 in .308 is now looking very attractive. It's got a 20" barrel and weighs 6.5lbs. I know that many of you will kill me for comparing the lever to the bolt, but be it as it may, I am just unable to make a decision.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Default RE: .308 BLR vs Rem Model 7

I have no problem with the M7 per se. I thought long and hard about buying one until I actually held it in my hands. Had to drive all the way to Old Town just to see it. The M7 does not fit me well. I also thought it did not balance well and pointed awkwardly. Your opinion and milage may be very different. I would take one (if it fit) over a BLR anyday.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:32 AM

Between the BLR and the Model 7, I'd take the Rem. model 7. But, like Portage, the stock doesn't fit me too well either. It's a good rifle, but just not for me. Check one out, and see how it fits/feels to you.
Other alternatives might be the Ruger Ultra-Light, which also has a 20" barrel, and is available in 308Win.
Also, take a look at the Winchester Featherweight with the walnut stock and stainless barrel/action. Available in 308Win. with 22" barrel (can always find a 'smith to cut the barrel back a couple inches and recrown, for maybe $40+/-).
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I'd try dryfiring it at the store. See if you like the trigger. Some folks thing anything but a 2 lbs trigger is bad. For me it really comes down to preference. I just don't like the way the bolts cycle. I'm not a bolt snob like some folks, and I'm definitely not a huge browning fan, but the only bolt that I have tried that I think really cycles smoothly is the Browning A bolt. I think you'll be happy with the caliber and either rifle has a good reputation.One advantage the lever has is that you don't have to move your head to cycle the bolt and lose your target aquisition.

Good luck!

Spud
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK I understand your dilemma. I went through the exact same thing. Started with a BLR .308 and switched it for a Micro medallion ( check it out also its a peach) then switched that for a stainless/synthetic model 7. Then bought a BLR in .358 and ended up switching that for a 760 I converted to .358. I also now have a custom shop .350 mag model 7. The triggers on the BLR as as bad as they get but you have a clip and quicker second shots. The new lightweight version of the BLR is about the same weight as a model 7 and they both have 20" barrels. The BLR is only available in blued/wood the Mod 7 is available in S/S. Not helping much am I ? You just need to go to the gun shop and try them both on with a heavy hunting coat so you can see which comes up quiker and feels better. They are both excellent hunting rifles. Right now I don't own a BLR but I have owned 3. Some how I keep flipping them and coming back to them.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rermington cheaper much better trigger ..BLR more expensive..otherwise they are short handy rifles that are plenty accurate for most hunting.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 PM

had one of each. Could not stand the muzzle blast from those little 20 in tubes. Now own a a bolt with a 22 in tube that weighs a touch more. I prefer the abolt. No kidding, that little model seven felt like it kicked as hard as my 300 mag if you held it wrong...and the muzzle jump was bad.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i was trying to decided between those two I would have to throw a savage Model 14 American Classic in 308 in the mix aswell. Give one a look I highly recommend it. has 2 more inches of barrel over the model 7 and only weighs 8 oz more, has an adjustable accu trigger which is probably the best innovation yet asfar as hunting guns go.and the MSRP is 145 dollars less then the remington. this fall im buying one in 300 win mag, i like them alot they are a spitting image of my older remingtons, after shooting a friends in 7mm rem mag I was hooked.