Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gun cleaning question >

gun cleaning question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun cleaning question

Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default gun cleaning question

Can anyone give me there opinion on using bore butter swabs for cleaning/lubricating the inside of a rifle? They work for muzzle-loaders with rifling, they should be alright for rifles too. What do you think?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Default RE: gun cleaning question

Don't be confused!!!!! Bore Butter is NOT for cleaning!!!!! It is "supposed"to season your muzzleloader barrel much like a cast iron skillet. I use it on my mezzleloader AFTER cleaning it with a good modern solvent. Stick to birchwood casey or similar cleaning solvent.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many knowledgable muzzleloaders think bore butter is a gimmick as well...fyi
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Borebutter is a great product but not what you want for cleaning. It is made to protect the bore and keep rust away which is not as bad a problem in modern arms. In my opinion something like CLP will clean and protect your rifle well but using one good cleaner and then a quality lube will be better. CLP is my go to product when I am not sure what to use on a particular gun.

Like bullets and powders gun like different cleaners as well. Some of my guns love the old Hoppes #9 others don't.

You can't use borebutter to clean even on a muzzleloader. You can use it to protect.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used a number but currently use the following:
Shooter Choice Gun Solvent for regular cleaning ofpowder/lead fouling.
Barnes CR10 for Copper Removal
Isopropyl alcohol to neutralize the solvents used to clean the bore
Breakfree CLP for action/bolt cleaning/lubing
Light gun oil for protection of exterior/light coat on the bore for storage. (I always run a few dry patchs down my bore before I intend to shoot the rifle to minimize the possibilty of excessive pressure).

Tools I use: Bore guide, 1 piece coated rod, plastic jag and patchs. For stubborn cleaning a quality bore brush.

BTW never found bore butter to do anything in my ML's. I clean using hot water, solvent for plastic/lead, light gun oil and if required the copper remover/tech as a CF. On the range I use 50/50 solution of windex & isopropyl alcohol. Just a light spray on patchfollowed by a couple of dry patches every shot or 2 does the trick.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get swayed into thinking that "Bore Butter" is a magic potion for rifle bores simply because it has a neat sounding name. It's not a cleaning agent and as far as lubrication/protection is concerned, I wouldn't use anything heavier than a light oilin a high powered rifle barrel.

Just my2 cents.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Well, warm Mineral spirits works great for cleaning weapons of all types. As far as lube always dry your barrel before shooting to prevent oil bulges.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Bore butter is good for........................almost nothing (although the green tube has a pretty pine smell[:'(]). It is good as a wad or patch lube for black powder shooting, but that's it. I wouldn't get a tube of it within 10 feet of a centerfire gun.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't use bore butter in your centerfire and don't use mineral spirits as the one post suggests. Get youself a good quality solvent which is made for cleaning the bore by breaking down and disolving the copper and lead deposits and powder residue. And use a bore lubricant if you plan on storing your firearms for an extended period. There are many good solvents out there like Hoppe's Benchrest, Breakfree Bore cleaner, Outers Bore cleaner, etc.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoppes Benchrest is junk compared to Sweets or CR-10 for copper fouling. Having used BR and getting the barrel 'clean' I did a little experiment last night and then ran a patch of sweets down the bore.....BR is going in the trash as my sweets patch was blue and now after a few patches of sweets my bore is actually clean. The sweets 7.62 is definetly more potent and gets the job done. I've never used cr-10, but hear good things about it. Since it's made by Barnes and they only have all copper bullets it makes sense that they have a cleaner that removes fouling as well as it claims to do. For powder fouling good ol' Hoppes #9 works fine, but it won't touch copper fouling at all.

Quick Reply: gun cleaning question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.