Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W 6906 jam >

S&W 6906 jam

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W 6906 jam

Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default S&W 6906 jam

Last round & sometimes next to last has been jamming in the receiver, what causes this?
Gun is like new,probably less than 1000 rds shot.
Thanks,
ny
Old 06-22-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: S&W 6906 jam

This is almost certainly a magazine related malfunction. When you insert a magazineloaded with only one round into the empty gun - then rack the slide - does it chamber? Roskoe
Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Agreed, I think it is too consistant for anything else.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Roscoe &JD; Thank you!
I just tried to chamber with only one shell, 2 of 3 times gun failed to fully chamber.
Can I fix, clean, oil, this problem away,or do I need new mags? The gun hasn't seen much use over the last year.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:29 PM

Try cleaning everything in the bottom half well, and if you can, clean the mag(s). If that doesn't fix it, you probably need to "persuade" your mags to work, if you don't know how and no one else can tell you, take it to a smith or someone who works on guns and it shouldn't be all that much for a little mag work. May be cheaper to buy new mags though, I'm not sure. But my guess is if it's not a cleaning deal, then someone should be able to adjust them. It would be odd, to me, if you actually HAD to buy new mags though.

Anyone else care to add/subtract?
Old 06-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

New mags are due here. I suspect that these mag(s) you have were left fully stacked all the time.

Most guys fill their mags short a round (some even two) to prevent the spring from being "squashed out".

"But cops carry theirs fully loaded all the time and certainly they don't need these problems..."

69 series is carried (has been) by plenty of LE. Difference is, that they have to regularly qualify and the life expectency of duty magazines is well known thru experience and mags are replaced as frequently as necessary, even though carried fully stacked regularly.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 06-22-2005, 07:32 PM

Ahh, and there you have it. Since I don't carry, I never leave my mags loaded.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Tell me about your mags . . . new? used? genuine Smith and Wesson? Disassmble the mag and clean. Does the follower come up high enough to lock the gun open on the last shot?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 AM

As noted, sounds like, and most likely is, a magazine related problem. I owned a S&W 6906, and found it to be a very reliable pistol.
Try taking the mags apart, and give a thorough cleaning.
Note: If you're going to be using this pistol for SD purposes, then regardless, a couple of new mags are in order. Keep/use the old ones you now have for practice only.
New mags can be ordered direct from S&W, and I think they have them listed on their website.. Of course, there are other sources too, and one of those might be a little cheaper. Again though, if you're looking to use for SD purposes then don't scrimp when it comes to your defense weapon.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

what causes this?

Its a smith and wesson semi auto............... they only make good revolvers, when it comes to semi autos forget it.

Quick Reply: S&W 6906 jam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.