Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sako vs. Browning >

Sako vs. Browning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako vs. Browning

Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Sako vs. Browning

Looking for a new rifle for my 13 yr. old son. Have pretty much decided on the 270wsm. Looked at a Sako Finnlight and Browning Stainless Stalker today. Have never owned either myself (Remington man) but liked the look and feel of both. The Sako had what looked to be a 2" longer barrel but also cost about $450.00 more. Looks like I could get the Browning and a good Leupold scope for the cost of the Sako. Is the Sako (and the longer barrell) worth the extra money. He'll be using the rifle for an elk hunt with Dad in the Thorofare area of Wyoming in Fall 2006.Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sako vs. Browning

Chopper, they both have 3 locking lugs which is good.
I don't like the BRN boss and I don't like the Sako fluted
barrel. For the money, Savage is a good choice, IMO.
If I did'nt care on cost I would go with Weatherby or Sako
with standard barrel.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 PM
bigcountry

Holy Cow, that rifle will be a handful for a 13 year old. I would go with the full size 75 sako. And second would be the browning. Not too much on the finnlight myself.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Both guns are a fine choice. The both have a short 60 degree bolt throw and smooth actions. The Sako does have a little bit better quality. I have an A-Bolt that I like very much. The trigger is not the lightest but breaks clean and the gun is very accurate with most factory loads (.308 Win). I almost bought a Sako but went with a Weatherby instead. Let you son hold each to see which he prefers.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 PM

I second bigcountry, lots of gun for a 13-year-old... but between the two, Sako by a landslide
Old 06-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now if it was a FN browning we could compare but a new Abolt..I am surprised some of you even consider the comparison close.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sako! Good luck.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 PM

I don't think the comparison is fair, Sako. Price tells you that though. With that said and the price factor, I'd get the Browning. My sister shoots the ABolt Browning 270 WSM and I think it's great. That cal, combined with a good butt pad,is a really winner IMO for kids and women who shy away from the big mags. Plus, it gives you some performance the traditional 270 cal can't provide. I plan on buying one next year for my son (12 yrs old).

P.S. he too will be chasing Muleys/Elk in the Rockies
Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Browning A-Bolt. Simmons Aetec. Set for Life.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 AM

I'd pass on the Sakos - don't feel like supporting a company that let defective barrels on the market and handled the situation poorly. Do a search for Sako barrel blowups.

Browning makes a good product and I've had no complaints with my .30-06 Stainless Stalker - shoots 1/2 MOA consistently up to 300 yards.

Quick Reply: Sako vs. Browning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.