HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Sako vs. Browning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/103511-sako-vs-browning.html)

chopper69 06-21-2005 03:07 PM

Sako vs. Browning

Looking for a new rifle for my 13 yr. old son. Have pretty much decided on the 270wsm. Looked at a Sako Finnlight and Browning Stainless Stalker today. Have never owned either myself (Remington man) but liked the look and feel of both. The Sako had what looked to be a 2" longer barrel but also cost about $450.00 more. Looks like I could get the Browning and a good Leupold scope for the cost of the Sako. Is the Sako (and the longer barrell) worth the extra money. He'll be using the rifle for an elk hunt with Dad in the Thorofare area of Wyoming in Fall 2006.Thanks for the help.

Rebel Hog 06-21-2005 03:25 PM

RE: Sako vs. Browning

Chopper, they both have 3 locking lugs which is good.
I don't like the BRN boss and I don't like the Sako fluted
barrel. For the money, Savage is a good choice, IMO.
If I did'nt care on cost I would go with Weatherby or Sako
with standard barrel.

bigcountry 06-21-2005 04:52 PM

Holy Cow, that rifle will be a handful for a 13 year old. I would go with the full size 75 sako. And second would be the browning. Not too much on the finnlight myself.

Worc 06-21-2005 07:08 PM

Both guns are a fine choice. The both have a short 60 degree bolt throw and smooth actions. The Sako does have a little bit better quality. I have an A-Bolt that I like very much. The trigger is not the lightest but breaks clean and the gun is very accurate with most factory loads (.308 Win). I almost bought a Sako but went with a Weatherby instead. Let you son hold each to see which he prefers.

zac76156 06-21-2005 07:18 PM

I second bigcountry, lots of gun for a 13-year-old... but between the two, Sako by a landslide

oldelkhunter 06-21-2005 07:23 PM

Now if it was a FN browning we could compare but a new Abolt..I am surprised some of you even consider the comparison close.

handloader1 06-21-2005 10:35 PM

Sako! Good luck.

HuntElk4Fun 06-21-2005 11:29 PM

I don't think the comparison is fair, Sako. Price tells you that though. With that said and the price factor, I'd get the Browning. My sister shoots the ABolt Browning 270 WSM and I think it's great. That cal, combined with a good butt pad,is a really winner IMO for kids and women who shy away from the big mags. Plus, it gives you some performance the traditional 270 cal can't provide. I plan on buying one next year for my son (12 yrs old).

P.S. he too will be chasing Muleys/Elk in the Rockies

James B 06-21-2005 11:56 PM

Browning A-Bolt. Simmons Aetec. Set for Life.:D

John Spartan 06-22-2005 12:00 AM

I'd pass on the Sakos - don't feel like supporting a company that let defective barrels on the market and handled the situation poorly. Do a search for Sako barrel blowups.

Browning makes a good product and I've had no complaints with my .30-06 Stainless Stalker - shoots 1/2 MOA consistently up to 300 yards.