Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What kinda ammo???????????? >

What kinda ammo????????????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What kinda ammo????????????

Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Default What kinda ammo????????????

Ok this season i will be hunting deer and elk and i want to know what kinda ammo to use on a 7mag, iwas thinking about using the winchester superx el game and then a buddy of mine says that i should use the supreme loads but i heard taht the supremoes "mess" up your barrel and if it does that i don;t know what kinda ammo to use. And y grandfther said to use fedderal premium witha 160 grain! So my ? is do supremes mess up your barrel and what ammo out of these3work the best on elk and deer and have plenty of nrg at the distance???
Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What kinda ammo????????????

Winchester supreme bullets you could use are the Failsafe and CT Accubond. The Failsafe is an excellent bullet and will work in either 140 or 160 gr versions for your needs. This bullet is moly coated, so I suspect this is where the "mess up the barrel" comment originates, as it will coat your bore in moly (this is said to reduce friction and improve function). If you plan to shoot moly bullets the first thing you need to do is ensure all the copper is removed from your bore prior to firing the moly bullets, this will provide better results. You must use a dedicated copper remover such as Barnes Cr 10, Sweets 7.62, etc.

The CT Accubond is lubalox coated, which is really nothing more than a paint. It has no adverse effects to your bore IME. I would only use a 160 CT accubond since you will be chasing elk!

Federal premium has more offering you can choose from of which none of the bullets are coated if that causes concern. Your choices are Nosler Partion, Nosler Accubond, Barnes TSX and TBBC. I'd probably stick with 160 version as suggested by your grandfather, but any of these bullets will work for your needs.

As always the best option is T&E than pick the best shooter in your rifle for your application.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first pick would be Federal Premium 160-grain Nosler Partitions.
My second choice would be Winchester Supreme 160-grain Accubond or 160-grain fail safe.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 PM

I too shoot a 7mm Mag and personally shoot 160gr Nosler Partitions at everything. Skeeter mentions some other great solid bullets. Big fan of the one grain for everything mentality and shoot.. shoot.. shoot.. shoot it. You will know your gun and your load.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:43 AM

The first thing you should ask yourself about bullets is did this bullet hit the market before the .300 RUM? If it did it will probably work just fine in your 7mm. Better bullets weren't needed before velocities reached stratospheric number attainable with that cartridge.[8D]
Old 06-24-2005, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I seldom use factory ammo but when I do I look for the bullet weight and type in the Federal ammo first. I prefer their versions loaded with Nosler Partitions.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Federal 160 grain partitions.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Fed. Prem. 160gr NP
Old 07-09-2005, 04:34 PM

rem safari ammo swift aframe bullit
Old 07-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever bullet shoots best out of your gun and gives the most repeatable accuracy. Make sure you shoot at 300 and if possible beyond that for grouping. Nosler partiton,Swift a frame, CT failsafe are bullets I have used before with good results. Have not used accubonds so I can't comment on them. Federal seems to have a wider selection of really good elk ammo then the other manufacturers but try them all. Not sure if anyone has used corelockt ultras I have in 7 mag 140 grainers and they shoot beautifully and really do the number on deer..elk is a horse of a different color though.

Quick Reply: What kinda ammo????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.