Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What caliber for defense in the field >

What caliber for defense in the field

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What caliber for defense in the field

Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What caliber for defense in the field

Guys, a 44 mag does not kick all that hard. And if being charged by a dangerous animal you will never even know you pulled the trigger.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:01 PM

After reading everyones post, and talking to a few other people. I am now leaning towards the 44 Mag if I can find a relatively lite one. I don't want a big pistol that is heavy and bulky. Should I go for a single or double action? What would be the ideal barrel length for what I will be doing?

thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Double action.

If you want a light Gun in .44 Mag, look at the S&W Model 629 "Mountain Gun" (.44 Mag).
Old 06-21-2005, 09:46 PM

For a hog I'd get a nice .357. Ruger Security Six is a durable gun and they're pretty cheap used.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the few hogs I've ever been too close for comfort with I shot with a .22 rifle. I accidentally walked up on a sow and some piglets right around darkthirty. I was lugging around camera equipment and a tripod, and had too much gear to take evasive action. I shot six times, and all six landed between the ears. The first three did the trick, the next three were for insurance. Not that I recommend using a .22, but it does serve to illustrate that shot placement is what matters. A shooter that can't kill a hog with a .32 H & R probably won't do any better with a .44.

BTW, most of the time I usually just stand my ground and clap or yell, and the hog will clear out. This one has been the only exception so far.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Guys, a 44 mag does not kick all that hard. And if being charged by a dangerous animal you will never even know you pulled the trigger.
i would have to agree with you on that 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 PM

9mm MP5 on a tactical sling with full automatic mode..... Haha, kidding of course.

Basically you have to chose what you can. .44 if you can shoot it well, .357 otherwise.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 PM

Or, a marlin guide style gun in 45/70.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 PM

i also agree with bigbulls. the .44 only kicks hard the first time or two you shoot it. after that you will get use to it. the more you shoot it the easier it gets to handle. after a week or two you'll be shooting it with one hand just to see how good you can do. i hold my shooting sticks in one hand and the .44 in the other. it's pretty deadly out to 80 yards or so for me.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:47 AM

When I was a boy and we butchered hogs, if a .22 rimfire wouldn't penetrate the skull, we'd fetch the .32, never saw it fail. Never thought I'd agree with a Texan though, even one from the North.[:-]

Quick Reply: What caliber for defense in the field

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.