Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Has anyone heard of this revolver? >

Has anyone heard of this revolver?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anyone heard of this revolver?

Old 06-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Has anyone heard of this revolver?

I just aquired a 454 Taurus Raging Bull that is not like any I have seen and I can't find any info on it.
It is black stainlees steel, 5" barrel, and on the left side on the frame below the cylinder it says "professional hunter".
One person, at a gun show, said that it was a special edition and only 1000 made. Don't know if this is true or he was blowing smoke.
I bought it at a very good price, had only 5 rounds gone out of the box of ammo(I wonder why[:@]) that came with it.
Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Has anyone heard of this revolver?

Taurus's revolvers are essentially a copy of S&W revolvers. While the internal fitting isn't quite up to S&W standards they are still mell made guns that should offer a lifetime of service provided you take care of it. The raging bull is a fine revolver.

The 454 cassull is no lightweight of a handgun cartridge. I suspect that the person that had fired those five rounds found out real quick that it kicked and just didn't want to deal with the recoil. It will fire a 300 grain bullet at 1600 - 1700 fps and the maximum average pressure limit for the cartridge is 65,000 psi. Typically the higher the pressure the more abrupt (quick) the recoil will be to the shooter.

A 454 will have about 38 foot pounds of free recoil energy at a speed of about 28 fps. That's a lot of recoil and at a very quick speed, where as a 45 acp will have about 8 foot pounds of free recoil energy at about 15 fps. Thus many people complain about the sting that they get when shooting it.

Comparing the recoil of the 454 to that of a shoulder fired rifle the FELT RECOIL would about equal a 375 H&H but at about twice the recoil velocity. However, don't let this scare you because a hand gun does not recoil like a rifle does. Where a rifle comes straight back at you a revolver will roll upward in your hand rather than puting all of its energy into the palm of your hand.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of one of these either.Give Taurus a call asking about it.It could very well been a limited edition.If you call Taurus if you or someone else speaks Spanish that might help you. They are located in Miami LakesFlorida which is mostly aSpanish speaking community.. I've been by the Taurus facility hundreds of times when I lived down south..

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dixie Ammo Dump has that Raging bull listed for $ 635.00
http://www.armthepopulace.com/handguns/taurus.html

Just a Black finished stainless steel gun

Johnch
Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I called Taurus and all they could tell me is that it was made in Jan. of 1999.
Thanks guys for all your help.