Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Has Ithaca Gone Under? >

Has Ithaca Gone Under?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has Ithaca Gone Under?

Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has Ithaca Gone Under?

I have a friend that sent his deerslayer back to Ithaca for some refinish work. After an eternity, it came back, but not without issues. The gun went to the factory with a deerslayer barrel, it came back with a model 37 barrel. This barrel doesn't quite fit right, and there is also a finish problem with the stock. He tried calling the factory, left a message, but no reply. He tried calling again, but now he says that the number has been disconnected and the website is off line too. Is Ithaca gone??
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Has Ithaca Gone Under?

I'm not sure, but I do know they were haveing some serious issues. I wanted to order a new deerslayer about a month ago. Nobody could get them in, or get a definite answer from ithaca.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope not.I haven't heard anything about it. The Model 37's were a fine pump shotgun.I know several years back Ithaca was in financial problems. They were acquired by someone if my memory serves me right.The Ithaca's aren't near as popular as they once were.It's a good possibility they did go belly up.I just can't see that another company wouldn't have bought them out.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suspect they have ceased operations. Although I doubt they would be bankrupt yet. I dealt with them 3 months ago, and yes their operation seemed to be in shambles. Not only were they sending out the wrong product at times, they were not even asking for those packages back!

Here are some relevant facts...

Various incarnations of Ithaca Gun have filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy four times since the early 1970s, with total liquidations occurring in 1986 and 1996.

Ithaca Gun sold its historic gun collection last year, (all the contents from the Ithaca Gun museum), and the buyer donated it to Bass Pro Shops so it could be preserved.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

This doesn't sound good. Regarding my friend's gun, although the fit problem as described to me sounds like its an asthetic one, I'm wondering if this mis-matched slug gun is even safe to shoot. He said there is a slight gap between the barrel and the receiver, and the barrel is also shorter.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:09 PM

This doesn't sound good. Regarding my friend's gun, although the fit problem as described to me sounds like its an asthetic one, I'm wondering if this mis-matched slug gun is even safe to shoot. He said there is a slight gap between the barrel and the receiver, and the barrel is also shorter.
If their is a gap between the reciever and the barrel, he should definitely NOT shoot it. Have him take it to a smith to see what is going on.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is a gap between the barrel and the receiver..that thing is a death trap...dont shoot it. Thats a shame cause I have a Model 51 Magnum that is a fine shotgun.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is looking for a good local gunsmith. I'm afraid Ithaca did a number on him.