Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How the .243 stacks up (part deux) >

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Old 06-07-2005, 10:04 PM

Default RE: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Tex,

Good night. Not sure what I haven't answered, but enough. You and Zrex apparently can't discuss a subject in a decent manner. Not nice to be calling folks "idiots", and Zrex there is referring to JamesB as a "hypocrite". Others are baffoons or morons, etc.
I don't mind discussing something, or arguing, with someone half my age as long as it's
done respectfully, and in fun. But you Texans are taking things way beyond decent when someone don't agree with you.
Hope you have a good practice in the AM. As for this thread, goodbye.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM

I am going to have to go to bed its getting late. Can we consider this argument over?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Alright sounds good this argument is over.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Name calling is not allowed on this forum ZZ so this will be my last response to you. I never no way said ME does not mean anything. I keep saying (which you never hear) That you can't say that one leg of what I would call the killing formula can do it all. Bullet weight means something as does SD ME MV and would channel and range and bullet design. You have pointed out all the stong points of the 243 many times. Well at 500 yards it falls 30-35 percent behind the 280 in ME. This because of velocity and bullet weight. 924 ME for the 243 and 1371 ME for the 280. This from nosler with BT bullets of 100 grains for the 243 and 150 grains for the 280. There is no magic pill. The heavier bullet in this case shows its strong points. I have tried to get this accross many times. Velocity can't do it all. The 100 grain bullet in some cases is the 243's strong point. On this leg of the formula it is its weak point. What the fast 100 grain bullet can do at 300 yards or so, it can't hope to do at 500 yards. It may be fast and low in recoil but get out at those ranges and it can't deliever the payload of a bullet half again as heavy. Keep the 243 in its place and its a fine round. It can't compete with many of the other rifles on your chart for long range big critters. It just does not have the material to do so. It is past its effective range for big game.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the ones calling the deer in Va smaller than Texas may wanna take a look at the record books.....verrryyyy interesting....

Pretty close...not even bringin body weight into the equation.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not seen the deer in either place. However there are some things in texas that are beyond big.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: texhookem

Me thinks your d@mn right. And im sorry for going with the small deer thing its unfair for me to say that its not your fault your state has small deer. I guess youll just have to come to Texas if you wana shoot something big.
hahahahahahahahahaha that makes me laugh. i have shot 2 mule deers(does) that where bigger than the texas whitetail buck. Maybe a big rack but not as big bodied as a mule deer.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
bigcountry

Well, in fairness, the Texas deer we see on TV are pretty large. But they just let them out of a cage after hand feeding.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM

Doe Dumper-I have to agree although i do not know of the record deer in virginia they are probably very close if not slightly bigger than the record deer from Texas. Every state has some freak deer that get very big. However, on the whole the deer from Texas are much larger than deer from Virginia and most other places for that matter. You cannot argue that. Would you rather go on a trophy deer hunt in Virginia or Texas? (all expenses aside)

Hunter4life-What are you talking about about? Nobody ever mentioned what mule deer does you shot. In any case I even said that texas has smaller bodied deer than most places and to compare them to a mule deer which is a larger animal in the first place is unfair.

bigcountry- I think you are refering the practice of high fences. Some ranches have high fences for their whitetail deer. I do not hunt those ranches. I lease a 12,000 acre area of a 72,000 acre ranch. The biggest deer taken off that ranch scored 194. Almost every year somebody will shoot a 170+ buck off of it. I think this year alone there were over 300+ 160 b&c deer entered in the Los Cazadores Deer contest alone. In any case there are many many many more ranches without high fences than with high fences. To point out what one ranch does not show what everyone does.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: texhookem

I lease a 12,000 acre area of a 72,000 acre ranch.
Pretty big lease for a 16 year old. Football must pay pretty good.

Quick Reply: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.