Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 guage slug range. >

12 guage slug range.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 guage slug range.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default 12 guage slug range.

I used to live in illinois and do not any longer. You can hunt deer in illinois, but no rifles are allowed. Shotguns, bows and muzzle loaders are it. My pop might think about hunting with his pals for deer this year. What is the effective range of one of those rifled slugs? How accureate are they? EJ
Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 AM

Default RE: 12 guage slug range.

It kind of depends on how high tech you go - out of a regular duck hunting shotgun, I would say 50 to 75 yards maximum range. With some of these new fully rifled barrels and rifle sights (or a low powered scope), these guns can hold 3" at 100 yards and have an effective range of 125 yards or more.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 AM
bigcountry

Agree totally with Roskoe, except with a bead I have a hard time going past 35-40 yards. At that distance the bead takes up the whole vitals.

Change out your sight to a rifle and put you a rifled choke in , and you up to a good 75 yards. But then you are almost to the place you could buy a new rilfed barrel.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh no this subject is coming up again? Sure to awaken JCChartboy and his encyclopedia of knowledge.

IN MY EXPERIENCE.........rifled slugs ( such as the most popular in the world - Remington Sluggers ) shot from smoothbore shotguns are generallly effective out to about 75 yards, where the groups open up enough to be considered (BY ME) the max range. Some folks with a particular gun may be able to be consistent out to 100 yards and others maybe 50 yards. To be practical, we have to remember that rifled slugs and smoothbores have killed deer pretty reliably in this state for many years. I would bet, that to this day, more deer have died in IL from rifled slugs than any thing else.

Now slugs (sabot or rifled) thru a rifled barrel is another story. Much more effective range. Out to 150 and a bit more in some kinda rare cases.

By the way, I determine "effective range" as the distance that I can put atleast, say 4 out of 5 on a paper plate. Maybe 3 out 5.

By the way, if your Pop is thinking of hunting in IL this year (2005) he'd better get the appliocations in. The DNR is now accepting applications for the second lottery, first lottery deadline is past. See the Illinois Department of Natural Resources website, check out the HUNTING section for all the necessary info.

Good luck.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:08 AM
bigcountry

Maybe 3 out 5.
Just an opinion, but do you believe thats ethical? I can't say I agree. I believe it should be more like 5 out of 5. You should know where your hitting before dropping that hammer.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

EJPaul,

As there are people on this board that chose to not to handle this discusion in a muture manner, I would simply suggest that you utilize the search feature at the top of this page.

Search the topics..Slug guns, Sabots,Rifled Slugs etc. This topic has been dicussed at great length. You will find pages of discussion on the topic.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 AM

Easily 100 yds with good sights.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:44 AM
bigcountry

Where's your sense of humor jcchart?

Old 06-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 12 guage slug is going to have trouble killing a deer. If your state allows, I think you need a .243.

C. Davis
Old 06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you serious about your comment there Davis?

A 12 gauge slug will flat lay a deer on its arse.

There are a good number of slugs out there that essentially turn a shotgun into a 45-70. Such as...........................

Winchesters Partition Gold slugs. a 385 grain 45 caliber slug at 2000 fps. Or their platinum tip slug weighing 400 grains and having a muzzle velocity of 1700 fps.

Any of Federals Barnes slugs or hydra shock slugs.

Remingtons Premier core lokt ultra. 385 grain slug at 1900 fps.

Any of these above are certainly capeable of taking deer to 200 yards or more provided your shotgun and you can get them there accurately.

A couple of them, such as the Winchester 3" partition gold or Remingtons core lokt ultra, I would feel 100% confident hunting elk in the timber or even taking shots to 150 yards or so.

At 150 yards the Winchester would still have nearly 2000 foot pounds fo energy and the Remington load not too far behind.

To keep a +/- 3 inch trajectory you would sight it in three inches high at 100 yards which would put it back at zero at 160 yards and three inches low again at 185 yards.

Quick Reply: 12 guage slug range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.