Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's too light of a Rifle for big game? >

What's too light of a Rifle for big game?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's too light of a Rifle for big game?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's too light of a Rifle for big game?

What in your opinion is too light of a rifle for big game and why ? I mean weight BTW not caliber and if you can give me examples
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's too light of a Rifle for big game?

When you say big game I think of elk or bigger.So a biggame rifle for me should weigh in at 7-7.5 lbs full loaded,scope and shells and sling(I'm talking 300 Wthby -338 Win Mag).
I see nothing wrong with a 6-6.5 lbs 30-06,300 wsm or 280.If I'm shooting something like a 375- H&H,416 Rem I would like it to weigh@ 7.5 -8 lbs plain,toping out at 10 lbs.
BBJ
Old 06-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I still like nice wood on my guns so mine would be a pound or so heaver.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you say big game I think of elk or bigger.So a biggame rifle for me should weigh in at 7-7.5 lbs full loaded,scope and shells and sling(I'm talking 300 Wthby -338 Win Mag).
Where are you getting them that light unless its a custom?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM
bigcountry

I'd say 7.5lbs 300Win mag scoped is very nice.

I don't worry much about light. Just being heavy. I believe a rifles wieght is a small part of the big picture. The big issue I see is getting close and stamina.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldelk,
They are customs,one is a Christan Brothers ultralight and one is a Kifaru rambling Rifle.Both cost me more than my pick-up I drive.
BBJ
Old 06-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt woods and fields, so I'm not dragging a rifle around as much as some do. Still, I'd rather have a light rifle that recoils hard (one shot here and there isn't going to bother me) than heavy one that slows me down on my way into the spot. My .30-06 weighs a little over nine pounds with the scope and full magazine, and I can deal with that. Anything more would get a little bothersome.

If I were going to shoot it regularly (target practice), I wouldn't go with a rifle less than 6.5 lbs. without scope and ammo.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seven pounds plus the scope. Scope weight vary a lot. I could live with Eight pounds in a medium caliber. Like 65x55 or 308.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a 7 1/2 lb(Scoped) SS 300 wsm Abolt that actually wasn't too bad and I had a similiar weight 280 700 KS that kicked like a mule with 160 grain max loads
Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to load the lightest bullets per caliber that will still get the job done. I shoot 120 grain bullets from the 280 and 7MM-08 for deer and would go to a 140 for bigger stuff. From there I would go up a caliber. I have loaded the 280 with 175 grain bullets for moose a couple times. I was up at Devils Lake ND fishing a couple days ago and saw some moose grazing in a grain field near the lake. I think they were illegals from up north a ways. There are getting to be a huntable population of moose up here now. They could be some of them Norway Moose from MN.

Quick Reply: What's too light of a Rifle for big game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.