Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener? >

Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener?

Old 05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener?

Sims (the outfit that makes bow vibration dampeners and rifle recoil pads) now makes a little "donut" that slides over the barrel. Would my Kimber .308, which has a skinny barrel and can only shoot 1.5-2 MOA, benefit from something like this? Or is it just a gimmick?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener?

The only way to find out is to give it a try. I've been interested in this device too and will be buying one when my interest in shooting rekindles. I've haven't pulled a trigger in months, preferring to play golf instead. If I continue to play like I did yesterday, though, I'll be trying one of those little donuts out real soon.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 PM

Golf is a criminal waste of valuable fishing and shooting time. Repent, brother, REPENT!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

saw it on TV or a magazine recently.......dont know if it would help or have adverse affects......a barrel is a harmonic device and should vibrate freely......thats why you freefloat barrels.....make sure theres NOTHING touching them at any point...... and dont rest your barrel on anything when shooting.........i dont know if a rubber ring around it would effect the accuracy or help it.......be interesting......thinking about it....i can see both points........the rubber would absorb any vibrations.....but hmmmm interesting......hope a few guys get them and play with them......i honestly dont have rifles worth trying them on....
Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 AM

BTM,
I don't have any experience with the aforementioned device but I think I'm going to save my money for something else. I can't imagine a rubber donut on your barrel would have much effect one way or the other.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:49 AM

It works on the same principle of the BOSS muzzle brake. The idea being, that the bullet leaves the barrel when it is still. If the bullet leaves at the same point in the vibration, it should be more accurate. Whether it works or not, I don't know.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been interested in this device too and will be buying one when my interest in shooting rekindles. I've haven't pulled a trigger in months, preferring to play golf instead
Oh my you are in bad shape.. Maybe a nice African hunt will get the gears in motion.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh my you are in bad shape.. Maybe a nice African hunt will get the gears in motion.
An African hunt would certainly help me loose some weight...............in the wallet, that is. I'm not sure if that would do me more bad than good, though. One of my best friends wants me to go back to Africa with him some day. We'll see.

You've got an African hunt in your plans don't you?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

You've got an African hunt in your plans don't you?
Yep soon as my son graduates school ..the three of us are going over
Old 05-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I was given one of those and asked to try it out.If they work I never found out how.
Tried it on one rifle I knew that shot little ting groups and one that I knew wouldn't even group to no avail.
May have been just me someone else may get it to work????
I did follow the directions too.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Sims barrel vibration dampener?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.