Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CZ successes and failues >

CZ successes and failues

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ successes and failues

Old 05-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Default CZ successes and failues

I presently own two cz rifles, a 452 american in .17 hmr and a 550 in .270. I have owned both for about a year and a half, and could not be more pleased. Both are extremely accurate and show very good craftsmanship compared to 90% of the factory guns on the market. I was wondering if anyone else had any good or bad experiences with cz rifles. Also, i'm thinking about buying a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 to keep in my truck this winter. Anyone that has this gun in this caliber, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Default RE: CZ successes and failues

One of my hunting companions got a 527 in a .22 Hornet recently. Very handsome rifle. We went to the range and tested it after a few break in shots. I could be the most accurate .22 Hornet that I have ever witnessed being shot. Only thing that bugs me about it is the safety - works backwards compared to American guns - forward is safe and pull back to fire.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw the 762 /39 listed .
Is the barrel for .308 bullets or .311 ??
I have seen some BA rifles that are designed for US produced ammo only.

Just wondered

Johnch
Old 05-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at CZ's today and yesterday. Of the 6 I handled, one would not let you open the bolt if you lifted the handle up all the way and then pull it back to chamber a round. In another, the bolt would hang up halfway back. Wood to metal finish was pretty humble. However, I hear they shoot well. I would want to see before I lay down the cash.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw the 762 /39 listed .
Is the barrel for .308 bullets or .311 ??
It should be .311.

American manufacturers often times make 7.62x39 with the wrong diameter bullet.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM

Last year I got a CZ 550 in 6.5x55. I topped it with a Zeiss Conquest and headed off to the range with some PMC 139gr PSP factory ammo that I'd had for maybe 7 or 8 years. Out of the box, I was getting 100 yard 5 shot groups at right around an inch. I was pretty delighted, despite a somewhat rough action and a creepy trigger. The trigger pull was ~3.5 lbs or so, and even with the creep it isn't bad. The single set trigger is fine at the range but is too light for field work in my opinion.

Unfortunately I have not been able to duplicate my success with handloads yet. I haven't spent much time with this particular rifle but I sure hope I can work up a decent handload. Hornady 140 grain Spire Points show some promise atop IMR 4831. Remington 120 grain Core Lokts on top of IMR 4064 are not the least bit impressive. Tomorrow I will try Remington 140 grain Core Lokts on top of IMR 4064 and see what happens.

All in all, I think the CZ 550 is a good value for the money. It compares favorably in price and features to the Ruger M77 MkII, trading off a two position safety for factory pillar bedding. It isn't quite as nicely finished as a Ruger, nor as smooth, and it isn't American made, but it does shoot well. at least, with OTHER people's ammo... sigh![>:]
Old 05-30-2005, 12:56 AM

the cz 7.62x39 does in fact use .311 bullets. Because of this, everyone that i have heard of that has owned one said that the gun shot great with cheap russian ammo. I'm always looking for a way to save money on ammo.

I used to be a HUGE ruger fan, but the last two that i bought really didn't impress me any. An all-weather m77 in .270 and a 77/22 hornet, the hornet shot OK, but the .270 was a joke. Traded in the .270 on my cz and couldn't be happier, but everyone has their preferences.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Higg

I used to be a HUGE ruger fan, but the last two that i bought really didn't impress me any. An all-weather m77 in .270 and a 77/22 hornet, the hornet shot OK, but the .270 was a joke. Traded in the .270 on my cz and couldn't be happier, but everyone has their preferences.
Higg, was your dissatisfaction with the Ruger based on its accuracy? I dumped my M77 MkII .30-06 after three years of trying to get it to shoot straight. I still took game with it but it would not group consistently, even with bedding, trigger job and every imaginable handload. It would probably be ok to hunt with at or under 100 yards but these days I think we can expect better. Some Rugers shoot great, too bad mine didn't.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:00 AM

My .270 would shoot 100 yd groups around 1 3/4"-2 1/4" with all ammo tried, which in reality was good enough to hunt with. But like you said, why settle when there are alot of guns out there that shoot much better. The hornet, which shot groups around 1 1/2"-2", was still a decent shooter, but i guess i just expected more out of the rifle than what i ended up getting. Also, the price of hornet ammo was starting to get to me. Despite these bad experiences, i cant say enough about 10/22's, mkII pistols, and ruger target rifles. I have the first and second and a buddy has the third. All are excellent guns.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

My 452 is the most accurate 22 lr I have owned yet . I used to own 2 Ruger 22's a 22lr and 22 wmr. Safety is backwards but I understand that has been changed at least in their high power rifles. They look like a nice gun to me otherwise and most people I know that have the high power models absolutely love them. The Model 3 CZ can keep however

Quick Reply: CZ successes and failues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.