Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da! >

Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da!

Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da!

I agree. they are well built and American made and I may well buy another. My point is that the ones with bad triggers are so bad that they should never get out the door. If I had to put my name on something it would not pass inspection. The same goes with NEF. They will do a free trigger job on their bad triggers but they won't just do it right the first time. To me it is a big deal to have to re-do something new before its servicable. When I do buy a Ruger, it has to be worth about 80.00 more to me that the asking price because I know I am going to have to spend that much more to make it work. The good part is that they do have some bargin prices on Ruger so sometimes I buy them.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nasty trigger from factory..at the same time it is very rugged. There are 2 are areas that need to be stoned and you can get a decent trigger out of it. YOu still have no adjustment for overtravel. I have found the Timney replacement to be the best ..It replaces the trigger and sear as well and it is much crisper and adjusts for overtravel.. You can install the Timney yourself but bear in mind if you file down the bottom of the safety TOO far your safety will not work and you'll have to ship the gun to Ruger to put in a new SAfety. I bought a ruger from a guy that attempted it and after I got all the facts i made him drop the price on the gun even further. I believe with shipping and all it came out to 50 dollars to restore the trigger and safety to original. They will not sell the safety to you. Hope that helps.

Oh Incidentally all the really good Remington 700's must be in North DAkota and they sell the crap ones in their home state of North Carolina.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy learned how to rework ruger triggers andit is amazing what can be done in 20 - 30 minutes, the end result is a sharp crisp break at the desired pull weight you prefer! HE got the directions of the internet i think.....he is also a memebr of HNI drop Gundigest a PM and I am sure he'll give ya the link.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate all the comments. I will be buyiing a rilfe at the local Scheel's today... it will be either a Ruger M77 or Rem 700 BDL; I am going after a .223 as I shot the barrel out of my old Rem 700 ADL in .222. There will be a dip in the local rabbit and Yote population next season.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck.....I know when Im getting ready to buy a new gun, it gives me that warm tingly feeling in my belly....I get the same feeling when Im with Bearklr's wife
Old 05-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mossy, Yep. We ALL know whats thats like. The feeling about the new rifle that is.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have noticed that Ruger 77 Mk II trigger vary from about 4 pounds to 7 pounds from the factory. The Ruger trigger and sear are very simple and easy to take out, after you take the stock off and remove the bolt one pin removes the trigger and one pin removes the sear. I bought an RCBS trigger pull scale from Cabelas for about $20 and I printed the directions off of the internet and did my own trigger job. It was very easy and it didn't take very long. I lowered my 300 WSM to 3lbs and a few of my friends rifles down to 3lbs also. It is not quite as good as a gunsmith job but it cost a lot less. I put a Timney trigger on my 77 Mk II .223, it cost me $75 at Cabelas and it was easy to install but it took some time to grind down the platform for the safety swing to work, that is why it says gunsmith installation suggested. But I did it myself and it turned out very nice and it is an awesome trigger.

My Ruger 77 Mk II 300 WSM and my brothers 77 .223 will shoot a .5" group at 100 yards and my .223 will shoot a 1" group at 100 yards, a few of my friends have 77s that will shoot under 1" also.