Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
why is weatherby ammo so expensive? >

why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Old 09-19-2002, 10:27 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

other thing to think of. alot of web. cart. are proprtine crts. "no one else loads or chamers gun for them". so web. or there loader "normand" has to do the pressure cheks and all of the r@d testing. then to a smaller dergrre it takes more powder and better bullits to stand the volietys. then the name on the box. and then simple supply and demand. to a point 30-06 and 30-30 are some of the chepst factory ammo made. for the simple fact they sell more ammo than in other cahmberings. take my 6mm rem and compre it to a 243 the 243 by any maker is 2 to 8 $ cheeper. because the compnys sell more 243 ammo
L. O. D. Charter member
Old 09-19-2002, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quilly-You could buy a 338ultramag for much less money and get performance as good or better.Ammunition will be cheaper for loads with equal bullets as well.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:42 AM

Weatherby is not a premium rifle nor is their ammo premium ammo. They make average quality rifles and ammo that they market as premium quality to suckers. True to form there are many suckers that will buy them and defend them to the very end.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:08 AM

it's just a shame. they seem sto make decent rifles. but the price i think is just too much. for the average person. i would love to get either a 340wthby or a 257wthby. but for the prices in ammo is even too much for me.

Old 09-20-2002, 05:50 AM

My 340 is a Mark V Stainless Synthetic with an Accubrake, I believe the barrel is 26" plus the brake (Its long). My first gun was a 338 Win Mag and the kick is allot less, atleast to me, I really don't know the real numbers. But it is louder and now I'm getting alittle concerned about hearing so I always wear ear protection even when hunting. Originally I wasn't going to buy it because I already had a 338, but it was too good a deal to pass up used. I think I paid somewhere around $1000 CDN ($650 US) for the used gun, with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 scope and a full box of weatherby shells. Up here in Canada Weatherby Ammo is a premium and hard to find (atleast in Eastern Canada, its readily available out West), so whenever I do find some I buy it even if I don't need it. I must have 8 boxes now.

Having used the gun now for 4 hunting seasons, I can say this, its a little long on the barrel for me, I'd prefer a shorter rifle to carry and handle. I also prefer a detachable mag that the weatherby does not have. Positives it shoots great, its accurate and I enjoy shooting it, more than my 338.

If I was to look at buying one today, I probably woundn't own it. Just because its an oddball for ammo and the gun is long on the carry. Because I prefer the detachable mag the UltraMags wouldn't be a good choice either (I was real close to buying one recently but didn't want a Browning, very close to buying a Rem Sendero or the Sako but both had a floor plate). Instead I bought a Sauer 90 in 300WbyMag (I found another deal that I couldn't pass up), ammo is easier to find, ballistically a very good caliber, detachable mag. I haven't shot it yet but plan on using it this fall.

When I get tired of that who knows, maybe back to the Ultramag or just a reliable time tested 300 Win Mag.

Not a great response for someone who calls himself 340, but I'm just being honest. If its a good deal, go for it, you can always sell it later if you don't like it.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

They usually use quality components unlike coreloks or others. Either Bearclaws, or Nosler PT. Second is there brass. Thirdly, I would say its due to not a highly popular round. I mean its well known to have a 300Wthby or 340Wthby but not like buying ammo for the 30-06 or 270Win. From what I have seen, its very uniform brass with the shoulders being very consistent from one box to the next unlike remington. I mean, check on prices for Federal in 340Wthby with a Nosler PT or something. Ain't no cheaper.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Weatherby is not a premium rifle nor is their ammo premium ammo. They make average quality rifles and ammo that they market as premium quality to suckers. True to form there are many suckers that will buy them and defend them to the very end.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I guess I am a sucker, I also guess you are a moron.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Premium rifles do not come with a 1-1/2&quot; accuracy guarantee.Even tikka guarantees 1&quot; for much less money.My gunbuilder would not send me a rifle that won't shoot under 3/4&quot; and his prices aren't much more than a factory mark 5.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 03:18 PM

Weathery uses Norma brass which is some of the best in the world. They ues very tight manufacturing that one of the reasons they guarantee 1.5&quot; @ 100yds for 3 shots. They use premium bullets and the shells are high velocity. Look at the high velocity cartridges that have come out in the past 4 years. Most of the are above 25.00 a box. High velocity higher price more marketing!

Why work when you can hunt???? Heck why work at all!!

Quick Reply: why is weatherby ammo so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.