Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lap your Rings >

Lap your Rings

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lap your Rings

Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Default RE: Lap your Rings

It is really only necessary to lap the bottom half of the rings. The top will "find" the full contact point on the scope, unless it is really out of square. If you lap the bottom half of the ring to the "full contact" point, make sure the two halves of the ring aren't touching each other before the required torque is reached. If so, you will have to machine a little off of the "foot" of the ring. And don't use Vaseline on the inside of the ring - you will be inviting slippage on hard recoiling guns. The stuff to use is the rosin sold in Brownell's - apply it sparingly with a Q-tip on the inside of the bottom ring. Good luck. Roskoe
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
bigcountry

It is really only necessary to lap the bottom half of the rings. The top will "find" the full contact point on the scope, unless it is really out of square.
What does it hurt to do the top? I find some small burrs on the top. I don't like ring marks.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know last night I was reading one of those dreaded gun magazines and the guy said to lap while the top rings were attached and the lapping rod was able to move back and forth. I have always lapped the bottoms only. This has been an educational post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never lapped any of my rings. After about 100 rifles I have only used any rings or bases beside the Weaver style 3 or 4 times and never had a reason to lap them. I hate those twist in style rings. Pain in the But. JMO. The only scope that ever moved on me was on a Contender handgun in 35 Remington. On that one I forgot to tighten them after turning the scope a tad at the range.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
bigcountry

I have never lapped any of my rings. After about 100 rifles I have only used any rings or bases beside the Weaver style 3 or 4 times and never had a reason to lap them. I hate those twist in style rings. Pain in the But. JMO. The only scope that ever moved on me was on a Contender handgun in 35 Remington. On that one I forgot to tighten them after turning the scope a tad at the range.
You know, I scare myself sometimes. Why did I figured ole James B would post almost this exact thing. I was waiting for it.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
bigcountry

James have you never got ring marks? Surprises me if you didn't. About 90% of the used scopes I buy have them.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

IF you cap the tops on it will guide the rod to lap even on the bottoms.
And at the same time if the tops need some it will also lapp them.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:13 PM

I don't bother - I'm convinced the manfucturing tolerances on quality rings today is good enough that I don't have to lap them in.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to be predictable. Yes I have had some ring marks on some of my scopes but as long as it doesn't damage the function of the scope, it doesn't bother me. I have never purchased a used scope and I seldom if ever trade a gun with the scope on it. I have had most of my scopes for many years and the wear and tear is ok with me. I also don't care for pretty wood stocks just give me any old synthetic stock and I am happy. I do like pretty wood stocks, I just replace them and put them away to stay that way. If I trade a gun then I keep the synthetic and put the wood back on.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
bigcountry

Well, thats where we are different James B. But thats cool, if we were all the same, it wouldn't be fun.

I had to lap my 300RUM gun rings. I had them slip too many times.

Quick Reply: Lap your Rings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.