Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 anyone "SNAG" for spoonbills? >

anyone "SNAG" for spoonbills?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

anyone "SNAG" for spoonbills?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 AM

Default anyone "SNAG" for spoonbills?

I usually stay in the bow and gun sections but me and my buddy are looking at vistiing KY dam a couple time this summer. He knows what he's doing...me, not so much. I've watched snagging once thats it. Anyone have suggestions on rods, reels, which hooks and lines work best?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone "SNAG" for spoonbills?

We call them paddle fish here in Montana.

I go after them every spring when the waters high,it is a blast.

I don't know what your water is like over there,ours is fast.I use a 14 FT surf rod made by Pinicale,I paid like 25 bucks for it,I use a over size reel made by Browning,holds about 200 yds of 40 lb test.We use 10/0 and 8/0 trebble hooks and 5-6 oz bank sinkers.

There are several Rod/reel combo's out there for like 50 bucks.They say to use a rod 10 ft or taller and needs to be fairly stout,any rod/reel used to cath big cats will work.
The line I use is 50 ld Big Cat made by Triliene,others use braids,super mono,mono or fushion.All it realy needs to be is stout enough,40 lb or bigger.The bigger the line the shorter your casts,so I try to stay with 40-50 lb.
Pepole in our group have caught them up to 80 lbs and this rig has held up,they can peel alot of line when you hook them.

I usaly cast up-stream at a angle,above a deep hole and snag across it,wait for you hooks to get to the bottom,think of it as a clock.With your rod tip at 4 jerk the tip up to 12 counter clock wise,in a sweeping moition.Reel the slack up and doit again,lots of work but it's fun,and you can get alot of beer drank.

Hope this helps
BBJ
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh almost for got,the reel any surf rod,you know those big open faced spinning rods.Mine is made by Browning,my brother-in-laws is made by Okuma,sisters is by Diawa,and a buddy is made by Silstar.Most exspensive part is the reel and the tackle.

Find one that hold about 200 yds line,2-3 or more ball bearings and a GOOD drag system.

BBJ
Old 04-19-2005, 03:07 PM

thanks jack.

14ft rod!!!!! 6oz

my buddy (as well as just about everyone at the dam) were using stout 7-8ft rods, baitcaster(which I'm very glad you mentioned spinning reel 'cause I grew up with them and love em...while I never had baitcaster and can't stand 'em (mainly because they make me look like an idiot who's never been fishing before)) and 2 or 3oz of weight.

So I guess our waters aren't near as fast as yours...but thank you, this lets me have a better idea of what to buy, and you aint jokin' about peeling line, my friend got one and the first thing I was like, GOOD LORD!!!!!! he's already half-way to Michigan!!! He let me fight it for a while and its something else!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to suprise ya withe weights,but when the rive is high you need them,plus you can cast farther.

The 14 Ft rod was,well cheap,a 9-10 ft will work.A good cat fish rig would work also.

I did some checkin on cabela's and they have a Eagle Claw Rod,water eagle somthing or other for like 27.00 bucks and a Diawa reel for 50,little more than I would spend but you could look and see what you like and get a better idea.

Have fun we are all set for Memorial Weekend,it's a blast.