Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

trout

Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: trout

do you put the power bait right on the hook?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what works for me. I use an ultra light or light action spinning rod and reel spooled with 4 lb. test monofilament. Make sure you have your drag set properly. I tie a #6 or #8 gold egg hook directly on the end of the line and use no heavier than a 1/16 oz. split shot sinker on the line 12 to 18 inches above the hook. Take a piece of power bait from the jar and roll it up and squeeze it over the hook. Form it around the hook so it doesn't come off. I use just enough to float the hook, about the size of a small marble. I cast my line out and let it settle onto the water and put my rod in a holder or sometimes I use sticks. I never trip my bail. I always leave it open so when I get a bite I can see the line spooling off. The advantage to using a small sinker and leaving your bail open is that if you get a bite when your not ready the fish doesn't feel any resistance and it will swallow the bait and swim off. When you see the line spooling off all you gotta do is trip the bail and reel him in. I've been catching trout like this for several years and it's by far the most productive method I've used in lake fishing.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM

A rooster tail is hands down the best trout lure for stockers and even bigger trout.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Yellow rooster tail with black stripes! Kinda looks like a bee! The tail is black!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

An old timer showed me a trick a few years back when using night crawlers. He told me alot of people will either use tiny redworms and ball them on the hook or cut the night crawlers in half. He said that this isn't natural and gave me some pointers. First he told me to use the entire night crawler, not just a piece because this is what they look like naturally. He then said you start at the head end and thread it on your hook so that when you hold the line up it hangs sraight with no bends or knots in the worm. ( I know it looks like there is alot of excess worm but it's part of the natural presentation). He then said find a nice place with current in the stream and stand at the head end of it. Then cast your worm out and open the bail. Let the bail open as the baits flows naturally down the rapids. You may not feel a bite until you reel in the slack to do it again at which point the fish could already be hooked on the other end. This just presents the most natural bait in the most natural manner so the trout don't think there is anything out of the ordinary.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

so the powerbait is meant to look like an egg? is powerbait good for fishing in ponds?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nightcrawlers and small rapalas for stream and river trout....spawn also has its place and time along with spoons and spinners.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

so the powerbait is meant to look like an egg? is powerbait good for fishing in ponds?
Yes, I use it all the time for pond/lake trout fishing.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM

This may sound crazy at first ut this is the best method I have found to catch MONSTER trout... I have caught award winning trout in Colorado using this method: Go to a store that carries clothing, and buy a pair a tight knit, red pantyhose. Cut the pantyhose into 4"x4" strips. When you gut a trout and it is carrying eggs SAVE THEM!!!! Put about 7 trout eggs on one of the pieces of pantyhose. Tie it into a bag with red sewing thread. put it on an eagleclaw number 8 hook. Put a swivel and slide sinker on about 2.5 feet away from the egg sack. Cast the line out as far as you can from shore and wait. You may get impatient, but within a half hour you will be getting bights. Use this method all day, because the eggs stink up the water. Once the smell gets to BIG fish out in the middle of the lake, they can't resist and have to come see what that heavenly smell is. When you are fishing, keep your line tight and have your pole braced against something heavy. When a trout finds your bait, he will try his hardest to steal it but he won't be able to because of the pantyhose. When he is done playing he will grab the bait and swim off with it as fast as he can. SET THE HOOK NOW!!! When not in use keep the egg sacks in the FREEZER.

P.S. this method does NOT work with salmon eggs!!! But you can store your old trout eggs in a salmon egg jar to help get them moist again.

I hope this method works for you as well as it does for me!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

this works for me-wax worms on small hook, half small marshmellow on tip of hook, bell sinker tied on 2 feet up line. cast out into river and let free spool. marshmellow holds worm off bottom and above weed on bottom. trout pick it up and you set hook when you see the line start out. i catch all but 1 of my limit this way, go back to the camp for breakfast (grilled trout and eggs), then fish with barbless flies the rest of the day, hook and release. insures fish in the freezer, plus all the action i need. fish white river below beaver lake dam in nw arkansas.

Quick Reply: trout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.