Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
TWO HEADED SALMON.... >

TWO HEADED SALMON....

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

TWO HEADED SALMON....

Old 02-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default TWO HEADED SALMON....

SORRY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST A PICTURE, BUT THERE IS ONE AT http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-...onalTwo-headed salmon thriving in Bremerton junior high tank
Sam and Ella quickly becomes a class favorite

Associated Press
Sam and Ella, the two-headed salmon that hatched in a Ridgetop Junior High School classroom a month ago, is still alive and swimming.

Marietta Nelson - Scripps-McClatchy

BREMERTON, Wash. _ Maybe two heads are better than one.

Sam and Ella, the two-headed salmon at Ridgetop Junior High School in Silverdale, is still alive, despite earlier predictions of the oddity's certain demise.

"It appears to be very healthy and very active," said Terry Donison, whose science classroom is home to Sam and Ella's tank. Central Kitsap Kiwanis gave Donison the supplies and eggs as part of its Salmon in the Classroom project.

About a month ago, shortly after the eggs hatched, Donison discovered one of the baby chum salmon had two heads. The oddity quickly became the focus of her class and an extra point of study.

She named the fish Sam and Ella, but the prognosis for the two-headed salmon was not hopeful. Two-headed animals born in nature usually die after relatively short lives.

Shortly after Donison's chum salmon were born, the young fish settled into the gravel at the bottom of the tank, as they would do naturally in a stream. There, somewhat protected from predators, the fish feed off their egg sacs and mature.

Monday morning, Donison was moving rocks at the bottom of the tank when Sam and Ella appeared.

She was shocked to find him (her?) still alive.

Sam and Ella is now about an inch long and swimming around with the other fish.

As students for Donison's seventh-grade life sciences course filed into her room Monday afternoon, they too were surprised.

"Is it dead or alive?" Jeremy Hiebert shouted as he walked into the room.

"It's alive," Donison answered.

Last month, Doug Williams, a spokesman for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, thought Sam and Ella wouldn't make it out of the gravel.

In his 10 years with the department, Williams has never seen an adult two-headed salmon.

Donison hoped the controlled environment of the fish tank would help Sam and Ella survive.

Now, she plans to move the fish to a smaller tank where it can live alone and have a better chance to eat.

The two heads make swimming difficult. Sam and Ella "flip flop back and forth" to get around.

"The heads are so heavy," she said. "I'm not sure it could float up to the top to the food."

While Sam and Ella's counterparts will be released into Clear Creek at spring break, Donison plans to keep the oddity and nurture it.

"I suppose I'll be sitting here with an eyedropper nursing it," she said. "If I need to, I will."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-01-2002, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TWO HEADED SALMON....

there you go Robb !
Old 03-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen that in my Feild & Stream Mag. Somthing else to make you go Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

WE HAD A STORY ABOUT A TWO HEAD MOOSE A FEW WEEKS AGO HERE IN AK. STORY WAS IN ALASKA DAILY NEWS WEB PAGE A WEEK OR SO AGO
http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/769464p-821654c.html