Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Heavy bass gear????

Old 06-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heavy bass gear????

id like to get me a setup for bass fishing in heavy weeds and im not real sure what i need so id like yalls opinions on some good gear and any info on what i should look for i dont wanna spend a fortune because its not something ill use to often just on odd occasions or something im thinking a heavy action rod and maby 20lb. line? sound like a good idea or what and what size/brand real should i look at? it`ll mostly be used to fish live bait and maby some rubber rats and frogs and stuff of that sort thanks,sean
Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Heavy bass gear????

I bass fish a good bit in heavy weeds. Since you appear new to fishing, I would suggest a low cost rod/reel such as the $25 Zebco 33. It is easy to use for the beginner fisherman, and you won't waste a lot of money if you don't get into fishing a lot. I would not go over 12 or 15 pound line, as you will likely not need it for bass. As for lures, try a topwater weedless frog. I used one of these in very thick weeds just last week with good success. Let us know how it comes out for you....
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM

Try one like this...

Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

20# test line is over doing it.

I use no more than 12# and use weedless worms on carolina rigs, weedless topwater plugs, and spinner baits just outside the weeds.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wesleykey

I bass fish a good bit in heavy weeds. Since you appear new to fishing, I would suggest a low cost rod/reel such as the $25 Zebco 33. It is easy to use for the beginner fisherman, and you won't waste a lot of money if you don't get into fishing a lot. I would not go over 12 or 15 pound line, as you will likely not need it for bass. As for lures, try a topwater weedless frog. I used one of these in very thick weeds just last week with good success. Let us know how it comes out for you....
im not new to fishing ive been doing it for a long time ive just never really fished in the weeds and i have alot of nice rods and reels but there all medium-light and medium action rods and spinning reels. the weeds we have where i fish are really thick and if you catch a big bass and he gets tangled up in them its easy to snap your line thats why i was thinking about stepping up to a heavier rod and reel combo for weed fishing only reason i dont wanna spend a fortune on it is because its not often i fish in thick weeds and i cant justify spending alot of money on something that wont be used much it would be better spent on something else and i have several rubber frogs and rubber rats already i guess my rambling mixed ya`ll up on the question but i mainly just wanted to know would a heavy action rod and 20lb test be a good combo i did ask about a pre assembled combo but ill do some checking on that one my self when i go into town tomorrow
Old 07-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

there all medium-light and medium action rods and spinning reels.
Good bass gear right there.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like a fast action graphite "casting" rod in 7' MH rated to 20 lb line with a 20 -30 lb fireline or power pro line and my most consistant lure in weeds is a 7" zoom worm on a weighted mister twister keeper hook hopping it back slowly through the weeds.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:09 PM

I would go a 6'6 rod, because you may be fishing other baits other than just worms and lizards. You could probably go with a medium action rod, (I just think it would be harder tp feel a soft bite with a MH rod)m but if you want MH then get MH. I woul not get fireline. I fish in a pond by my house, it is definitely the strongest line I have ever tried, almost seems unbreakable, but it wears out really quick and the color fades and begins to untangle. I would go with 20lb. Stren Magna Thin, Heavy cover, or Magna Flex (prob. best choice). much easier to cast but not as much feel becaus eof the stretch facter in mono, thats not in braided line. Oh never, I would go with this line diffinitely. It is the new Stren Super Braid. Def. go with that!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I'm in HEAVEY weeds, I like a 6'6" MH rod and a bait casting real with 17lb monofiliment line. I like Spiderwire, but not when I'm in weeds. Sometimes that strecth in mono will save you a fish in heavy weeds.

I like the heavy pole and line in the thick weeds so I can force the fish to me. In open water, 10lb is plenty for me...

I caught my biggest bass ever (9lb 1oz.) on an ultra light with 4# test crappie fishing...LOL
Old 07-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

I fish a weedy lake and I use a 7' MH fast action IM7 casting rod with 20 pound Power Pro and 6" Zoom worms and Mister Twister weighted Keeper hooks Texas Rig style. I have pulled some nice bass out of the thick weeds and I have never lost one due to gear failure.

I would not recomend a Zebco to anyone.

Quick Reply: Heavy bass gear????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.