Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fly fishing, anyone?????? >

Fly fishing, anyone??????

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fly fishing, anyone??????

Old 11-25-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Fly fishing, anyone??????

Anyone else in here flyfish? I' m only 15, and have only caught a few trout fly-fishing, but have only been at it for less than a year now,probably closer to 6 months. It is an awesome sport, and was just wadering how many of you are into it.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fly fishing, anyone??????

Hiya
I live in New Zealand and love flyfishing.
Over the past month I have been fly fishing 4-5 days a week.
Our season opens 1st october for low land water. 1st November for rivers and lakes and 1st December for some of the more " Fragile" high country water.
We catch trout (Mainly Brown but also a few Rainbows.)
I' ll post some pictures on this board so you can see the type of fish we catch.
My favourite technique is Nymphing with weighted nypmphs (12-16) in small clear high country streams.
I use a Composite Developments GHR 6 weight Rod, as an all round rod. I use floating line with tapered leader and 4 pound tippet.
My favourite pattern is Hare & Copper.

Good luck with your fishing.
It is an addictive sport.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:48 AM

You're only 15... I am only 16 and love to fly fish. I have only been doing it for about 1 year now. Casting was the easy part, but what i find hard is what fly would work best in the situation i am in. I currently live in Missouri, but i am moving to Bucks County PA at the end of the year. Like you i have only caught a couple, nothing big...Where do you like to fly fish?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:40 AM

I've been flyfishing for years.

Dont limit yourself to trout only! I fly fish for everything all the way up to Northern Pike. The best fishing I have ever done is during the bluegill spawn. It is so fast and fun. The guys fishing with bobbers actualy stop and watch after they realize that I am catching 3 or 4 to there one!

You can also use the winter time to tie flys like I do. It shure is a good time filler for that cabin fever!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tim, I hate you.
New Zealand is one of my dream destinations.........I hear the people are possibly nicer than the country itself, and I hear it's BEAUTIFUL!

Would love to fish there someday stalking those huge browns in gin clear water.

Til' then I'll have to settle for the Limestone spring creeks and other trout waters of PA.
I've guided on a lot of the famous SW Montana trout water in and around Yellowstone, as well as guiding on the Upper Delaware system back here in the east. I'v ealso fished many of the West's top trout water in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming,S. Dakota as well as Montana. I've been pretty lucky to fish many great places.

I'm an avid flytyer, and a fanatical flyfisherman........nuff said.
I do have a bit of an outdated website you can check out. I think it's about 3 years old now. It has some of my favorite Pa fly patterns on it that I tie and use.
http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesM/mm-mattmickey.htm
Old 12-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been flyfishing since can remember. I get out whenever I can!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:31 PM

I love to flyfish, sadly I live in Ohio and the creeks and rivers here suck for flyfishing. I ususally bring out the fly gear for steelhead but only in PA and NY. I ususally go to NY once a year for big Browns and Steelies. I understand that in New Zealand you have some sweet Brown Trout and Red Stagg. Best of both worlds.
Lucky dog.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I'm an avid fly tyer an fly fisherman.That for over 20 years,FIsh all kind and love it.Caught 2 four pounder walleyes in a by- pass of the st-laurence river.
Fly fishing is a way of living just like bowhunting.Like they say "It grows on you)

Taureau noir