Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Big Cat

Old 11-07-2003, 10:45 PM

Default Big Cat

Caught this guy last weekend. Any you guys fish for big catfish?

57 Pounds 46"
Old 11-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Cat

WOW! Oh ya thats a bigin! Congrats!!
No cats like that round here

Biggist cats we got are mtn lions.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:12 PM

The cats we have here only get to weigh about 1pound..Congradulation
Old 11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Bigcat

You got a story that goes along with him. Where do you live?

What did you get him on, what rig you fishing with. Let us all.

J
Old 11-11-2003, 11:50 AM

Any you guys fish for big catfish?
No but I would like to start on fish like that!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:13 PM

we try to fish for big cats like that, but havent got any that big, biggest we have caught was about 10 lbs.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:39 PM

This fish was caught on the James River in Richmond, VA. There are plenty of cats like this one out there too. Not that I ever catch them. That fish is my biggest so far. Before that one my biggest was 39 pounds.

I like to use a penn 320gt2 or an Okuma 202L or 302L. I use a lot of different rods. Any ugly stick will do but it’s always best to have a rod with some good backbone to pull these monsters up. I like to have a flexible tip too.

For bait we use cut gizzard shad. We catch them by throwing cast nets.

The rig I use is a basic Fish finder rig with an 8/0 Gamakatsu Oct Circle hook. We use weight any where from 6 - 12 oz. to hold bottom. We always use flat weights too so they don’t roll in the current.

The best place to find a big cat in a tidal river like the James to like another fish find Structure (logs, sunken barges, channel edges, creeks, flats, holes...)

You can see some more of my cats at http://ramsites.net/~cannonjs/index.html and go to the pictures link.

Also the Va. State Record holder (72 pound Cat) has a site with a few of his pics. I just happen to be the one who runs his site [:-] www.hughscatfishing.com

Also I don’t know if any of you guys live near Va. but I am putting n a catfish tournament on Dec. 7th with a lot of great prizes including a free guided trip with the state record holder. Details at www.catchbigfish.net

Did I answer everything...

Oh yeah the story...

Well me and my friend went out looking for the big one and were having terrible luck. We hadn’t caught anything all day. We meet up with another friend who was heading down river so we went too. We went into a creek off the main river and found a nice little place were a smaller creek met the main creek (i.e. structure). So we set up there. Finally one rod goes down. My friend reels it in and while we are fighting it another rod goes off. We got the first one in and it was about 14 pounds. So I start fighting the 2nd one and i didn’t think he was extremely big maybe low 30#' s, which is still good. Eventually i realized he was bigger when his head finally came tot he top of the water. We got really nervous FAST! After three tries with the net we finally landed the fish. I use a really big net probably 30" x 35" . Well he bent the pole on the net trying to bring him in. But we got him. We were fishing in about 10' of water.

Anything else?

sorry this was so long.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:41 PM

wow- thats a beauty congrats
Old 11-21-2003, 09:56 PM

SWEET!!! that would be a state record in Oregon. I think its only 52lbs here. I havent got many over 15 lbs but have seen a few in the 25 to 30 lb range. I go to the Snake River on the Oregon Idaho border.
Congrats on the big one!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some big cats! Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.