Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Bilge Pump

Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Bilge Pump

The family boat (no fishing allowed per Mrs. CI) which is a 20 foot Glastron was full of water after some very hard all day rains. I have an auto bilge pump, saw the water and tried to run the manual pump. Nothing. The boat is up on a lift so I knew it wasn't a leak. The engine is a 4.3 Volvo Penta IO and the bilge pump is way down in the engine compartment under the oil pan of that V6 engine. Did some testing and the Rule pump is shot so I will be trying to contort my aged body into a pretzel configuration to change it out tomorrow. Not looking forward to that.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, they always put the pumps where the water will run when you are on plane when running and the bow is up, the hardest place to get at. On my 38' Wellcraft aft cabin, I had two pumps, one forward and one aft behind the read fuel tanks under the island berth. You had to hang upside down to work on that one. The acronym for boat is Break Out Another Thousand.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Most of the marine mechanics around here are built to get into tight places. I'll have Mrs CI hand me the tools once I get into position. I hurt my back 2 days ago wrestling a full cooler of fish out of the fishing boat so this should be a day to remember or forget whatever that means.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are unloading at your own dock you should build a lift to get the fish box on the dock. A 4x4 with a cross piece on top at a 90 degree angle that sticks out over the boat. Then put a pulley on the cross piece and mount a boat trailer winch on the down leg and run the cable through the pulley. Rig up a cable or heavy line with a hook on each end to attach to the handles on the side of your cooler. Then you could hook up the winch to the cooler, jump up on the deck and winch it up, swing it over and let it down on the dock. I probably didn't explain the device well, kind of like those winches that fit on your trailer hitch of your pick up you hook up a deer to and crank it up and swing it into the bed. The older you get, the easier it is to throw your back out. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

My fishing boat is trailered because I need to be able to access different places depending on the bite and wind. I live on the broad lake and if a strong west wind comes up I wouldn't be able to launch a 16' boat but can trailer to a spot on the lee side of the island and enjoy more calm water. When I get my boat on the trailer I get in and pick up the 70 qt cooler which when fully loaded can hold almost 100 pounds of fish. I sit it on the gunnel on top of another smaller cooler then get out and it is at chest level and I slide it off the boat and stagger to the open tailgate keeping it tight against my chest.It is really easier than it sounds. In this case I wanted to get some pure gas for the big boat and they have pumps at the fish shop dock that is about a buck cheaper than the marinas. I muscled the cooler into the glastron which was on the lift from my dock and that is where I did it. I don't usually do it that way so wasn't prepared for the twisting and lifting while bent over. I got the new bilge pump installed this morning. Went OK but I know I am not all that dexterous using my left hand bent backwards screwing in the auto float. The new pump worked great on both auto and manual. I owe myself a cold beer for that little project.