Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Snapping Turtle

Old 05-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Snapping Turtle

I got one snapping turtle left over from last year and will be cooking it Monday or Tuesday. Anyone have a favorite recipe?
-Jake
Old 05-09-2016, 02:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never eaten one. We have lots of turtles and some really big snappers. I see them all the time in the spring when I am in the back water setbacks looking for crappie. I usually save a few turtles every year from the highway. Drag them by the tail to the side of the road they are headed towards. Do they taste like chicken?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Just fry till golden brown then into the over for about an hour to an hour and a half. Tried making turtle soup once, it was ok but not as good as fried.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love snapper soup. This one is really close to the soup I used to get at my American Legion. It is a recipe by Emeril . Serve with a container of Dry Sherry on the table to put a little to your taste in the soup when you eat it.

Total Time:
2 hr
Prep:
15 min
Cook:
1 hr 45 min

Yield:6 to 8 servings
Ingredients
1 1/2 pound turtle meat
2 3/4 teaspoon salt, in all
3/4 teaspoon cayenne, in all
6 cups water
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
4 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped hard boiled eggs

Directions
Put the turtle meat in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the water. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the meat to a platter. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch dice and reserve the liquid. In another large sauce pan, combine the butter and flour over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6 to 8 minutes to make a dark roux. Add the onions, shallots, bell peppers and celery. Stir occasionally and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender. Add the bay leaves, thyme and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the turtle meat. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the Worcestershire sauce, the remaining salt and cayenne, the turtle stock (about 6 cups) lemon juice, and sherry. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley, green onions, and eggs and simmer for 45 minutes. Garnish with green onions and chopped eggs.
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Old 05-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I cooked this in a crockpot until it was tender, then breaded in a cornbread/flour mix and fried. Really tasty. Turtle is very very good for those that haven't had it.
-Jake