Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
hi all, bit of a random question >

hi all, bit of a random question

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

hi all, bit of a random question

Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Spike

Default hi all, bit of a random question

Hi there, i'm orginally from the UK where I fished a lot, got out the Army last year and moved to the Czech Republic with my wife. In the UK nearly all fisherys are catch and release, but on moving out here its catch and keep. My wife who is czech loves carp, its a delicacy out here they have it for christmas dinner and well she wants one lol. Now this may sound daft but what is the best way to kill it and bleed it, ive never had to before lol, killed many a rabbit and hare in the UK we even have rabbits and chickens on our land that we raise for food but never had to deal with a fish before.

Thanks all
Steve
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sibo
Hi there, i'm orginally from the UK where I fished a lot, got out the Army last year and moved to the Czech Republic with my wife. In the UK nearly all fisherys are catch and release, but on moving out here its catch and keep. My wife who is czech loves carp, its a delicacy out here they have it for christmas dinner and well she wants one lol. Now this may sound daft but what is the best way to kill it and bleed it, ive never had to before lol, killed many a rabbit and hare in the UK we even have rabbits and chickens on our land that we raise for food but never had to deal with a fish before.

Thanks all
Steve
How does she want it prepared?

That'll make a difference in how you gut it/fillet it etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Spike

They tend to make fried steaks covered in bread crumbs
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

They tend to make fried steaks covered in bread crumbs
Then you can just fillet them out like any other fish, ensuring that you score the fillets if you can't find the bones (they are there... hard to see though).

Here's a link to a good PDF showing how to do it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...46865395,d.eWU

If you can't open that, just google "How to fillet a carp"

Last edited by Psylocide; 05-23-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Spike

Thanks Psylocide but she knows how to do all the prep side of things, for some reason finding bones is like a part of the meal there are that many, what I actually mean is the best way to kill it there and then and should I bleed it. I will probably be the one to gut it but then its hand it over to her.
I remember as a kid when we went mackeral fishing they where just left in a bucket to die but well I like to at least put them out of there misery quickly as possible.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Psylocide but she knows how to do all the prep side of things, for some reason finding bones is like a part of the meal there are that many, what I actually mean is the best way to kill it there and then and should I bleed it. I will probably be the one to gut it but then its hand it over to her.
I remember as a kid when we went mackeral fishing they where just left in a bucket to die but well I like to at least put them out of there misery quickly as possible.
Well... you can smack them on the head with a mallet, I like to fillet fish with the head on, much easier. I don't bleed fish first.

Otherwise, you can chop the head off, gut it and throw it in a bucket of cold water to draw the blood out.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Spike

They tend to leave the head on here to, so good twat to the back of the head then.
Thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

after you gut it or fillet it you can put the fish in salt water for a couple of hours ..the salt draws the blood out..you won't see blood necessaripy but your water will get cloudy..I may do this a couple of times..this is how you bleed them
Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

They tend to leave the head on here to, so good twat to the back of the head then.
Thank you.
What we do to kill a fish is to take the piece between the lower jaw and the gills and either cut it or break it out. This will cause most fish to bleed as well. This is the practice we use on salmon and lake trout which by law we have to kill any legal fish we plan to keep.