Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Northern Pike

Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Northern Pike

My first northern Pike I caught yesterday...it was 23 inches long and was tagged by Idaho fish and game...this one didn't fight much but I knew it was decent sized. maybe someday I'll catch a bigger one. I think they are a beautiful fish. they look like they are related to Gar. My wife caught one but it was a lot smaller and we didn't keep that one.

I had one on the line 20+ years ago but I didn't have a steel leader and it popped my line...I never did get to see how big it was...
Attached Thumbnails Northern Pike-northern-pike.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice northern there... my biggest was 33".

If you fillet them out right, they are one of my favorite fish to eat.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Nice northern there... my biggest was 33".

If you fillet them out right, they are one of my favorite fish to eat.
I filleted it out and may fry it up this weekend. It looked like a nice fillet when I cut it up. I hope to catch many more
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
I filleted it out and may fry it up this weekend. It looked like a nice fillet when I cut it up. I hope to catch many more
Yeah, they're great... the texture is a little more meaty than most fish.

They can just a little boney if they aren't filleted well, but it sounds like you got it.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im always up for trying a new (to me) fish. I did see some bones but I'll pick them out. I prob got 4 good fillets out of it...a little over a 1/2 inch thick on the thickest part. I cant wait to try it out.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Spike

I have hear that you can pickle/can the pike fillet and after a while the bones will just dissolve. Now sure if it actually works, but I would love to try it sometime. It sounds like it would be a lot easier than picking around all of those bones.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jakeman3327
I have hear that you can pickle/can the pike fillet and after a while the bones will just dissolve. Now sure if it actually works, but I would love to try it sometime. It sounds like it would be a lot easier than picking around all of those bones.
I have heard similar...I have yet to try it though...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I am not sure about your northerns. Here with Chain Pickeral (which is about the same) it is a lot of work to get those "y" bones all out. So what we do is fillet the fish and then make a criss cross pattern will a dull knife about a 1/4 inch apart. We do this to the whole length of the fillet.. We stop just before reaching the skin and skin it afterward. Some will alos soak them in milk after making that criss cross pattern. I am not fully convinced that the soaking with milk helps it though.
This will help to break the bones up so when you fry it the bones cook threw it.