Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Sunfish Spawning

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sunfish Spawning

I looked in our private pond that we stocked a few years back and saw some really nice sunfish up on the bank. I was surprised that they didnt move off when I approached until i realized they were all circling their newly made beds. This is early for the sunfish, way earlier than usual considering they dont normally start until the very end of April and into early May. This gives me some ideas on where to fish on Lake Conroe now.

One thing for sure though, they sure are fun to watch at this stage because they are so active protecting the nests. I was caught off guard at how big some have gotten in only 2.5 years but a couple are as big as my hand. I believe we will get quite a few quality sunfish in the next two-three years as they all mature into large adults.

Last edited by Gangly; 04-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Yea. It seems everything is a month early, turkeys, bream, bass, etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Gangly,
Do be afraid to cull the smaller fish.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really do not fish for sunfish but do wish you good luck with them..

But why? I think he is talking about a pond that they were put into.. Now after a couple of years they will populate and when you end up with to many what happens? If they end up getting to many then growth of them will not be what it should be. They will all compete for the same food source.

A lake I like to fish lake trout out of last year place some changes on the rule there. Because they were all competeing for the same food source so now you can keep up to 6 verses 2 or 1 big laker.. Now it is 6 from 14 to 23 inches with only 1 over 23 inches. It used to be an 18 inch minnimum lenght limit..
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Hey Gangly,
A little more logic to your statement might help your suggestion?

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I really do not fish for sunfish but do wish you good luck with them..

But why? I think he is talking about a pond that they were put into.. Now after a couple of years they will populate and when you end up with to many what happens? If they end up getting to many then growth of them will not be what it should be. They will all compete for the same food source.

A lake I like to fish lake trout out of last year place some changes on the rule there. Because they were all competeing for the same food source so now you can keep up to 6 verses 2 or 1 big laker.. Now it is 6 from 14 to 23 inches with only 1 over 23 inches. It used to be an 18 inch minnimum lenght limit..
Slot limits have been proven to be quiet effective on heavily fished waters to even out the age structure / size of the populations.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he mis-typed. Reading the sentence the way it sits now doesnt flow. Add a "n't" to the end of "Do" and it reads much smoother. I initially thought it was a typo but wasn't sure so I didnt respond to it.

THanks for all the helpful information guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gangly
I think he mis-typed. Reading the sentence the way it sits now doesnt flow. Add a "n't" to the end of "Do" and it reads much smoother. I initially thought it was a typo but wasn't sure so I didnt respond to it.

THanks for all the helpful information guys, I appreciate it.
I assumed the typo as well, but still a very broad statement without backing it up with information regarding it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Slot limits have been proven to be quiet effective on heavily fished waters to even out the age structure / size of the populations.
Yeah, they are trying to build up the landlock salmon fishery there. As the lakers are not fished as frequently and have taken that lake pretty well over. They both feed on rainbow smelts that are in the lake..

Yeah, it is most likely a typo. Because I was not sure something made me bite on it... LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

what state and region are you fishin at?