Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Night Fishing

Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Night Fishing

I went fishing last friday from 10:30 pm until 1:30 pm. I have tried "night time" baits before and had limited success so I figured I would try a few different ones. This time I rigged up three lures to try out (2 night lures and 1 day-time lure):

1. A black spinnerbait with a single, large, silver colorado blade with a white trailer and no trailer hook
2. A black buzzbait utilizing a black blade, black skirt, and silver clacker, no trailer or trailer hook
3. A shad colored spinnerbait with a large silver indiana blade, and medium silver indiana blade with a white trailer, and no trailer hook.

The black buzzbait was awesome. It took me awhile to figure out the correct cadence but once I figured it out the bass started nailing it. I had the same bass hit it 4 times and finally hooked up the 4th time (trailer hook would have helped here). I really didnt think it would do very well with the clacker but the clacker didnt seem to make much of a difference.

The black spinnerbait did pretty well also. It was fairly light so it stayed at the top of the column pretty well with a slow retrieve and caught 2 bass with it. The hits were hard and the hooks were deep.

The shad colored spinnerbait suprised me. I've caught plenty of fish on the spinnerbait before, but everything i read said that you need to use dark lures at night. This lure was grey and white with a long, thin, white trailer. The fish were nailing it! Because of the double indiana blades, it was able to real'd in pretty slowly which is what I think allowed the bass to key in on it. Whatever it was, it worked.

There was NO moon out and there was heavy cloud cover. The area was very dark with limited light and so I was really surprised by some of the results. If you havent fished at night, you should try it, but be sure to leave on atleast one "day-time" lure and you might be surprised by the results as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like fun..how big was your biggest bass ?

I 've only been a few times for bass..no doubt the size of the bass increases ..I. Was using a black worm both times..I found bass on my depth finder t hat were non biters in the daytime..they were biters in the dark...Fl is a little hairy in the dark.as the gators are much more active and more prone to strike at noises in the dark..

But all the fishermen I've ran into down here in the dark...uses a dark worm
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fish averaged betwen 1 and 2 lbs. The biggest that got off I would have to guess was about 3.5 lbs, but its a guess because the only sight of him I got was when he got right to the bank about 4 feet from me and jumped out of the water throwing the lure. I will definitely be going at night again sometime soon, but I will ahve to wait for all these storms to pass.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I night fish all the time for white perch up here and it is a lot of fun.. We always have a few smallmouths hit when fishing at night. I think a fly rod would work great then when the bass are chasing either minnows or the moths that are hitting on the water..
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir, I used to catch lots of white perch in the middle of the night...tasty fish too..