Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Building Custon Rods? >

Building Custon Rods?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Building Custon Rods?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Building Custon Rods?

Anyone else building custom rods this winter?

I know a few guys who do it for income, I mainly so it for personal use. Have multiple Steelhead, Salmon, and Bass blanks that are being prepared for this winter.

Starting off with some ice rods!

Will post pics soon!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

I'm working on my first ever build right now. It's on an old custom builder blank - a medium action 9 ft. 8/9 wt fly rod. Just a learning project, although I'm still trying to make it look as good as possible. I've been to one of the old Rod Crafters seminars back in - I think 2001 and learned quite a lot there and then got interested in other things and am just now getting back to the rod building and finishing the rod I started back then. I plan to build the wife and I a couple of bait casters this winter but just as a hobby not as a business. I just plan to do a basic wrap type build - no fancy butt wraps or weaving or inlays - maybe a trim ring here and there but that's as far as I plan to go.
So far - it's very enjoyable.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to try and build one sometime, but I have too many hobbies as it is. I enjoy seeingthe work of others though, so post up some pics of your finished products, I'm sure they'll look great. What blanks are you using for your bass rods?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am using an assortment of blanks. for me steelhead and salmon rods I have used Dorber and Rainshadow.

For bass, I have a Rainshadow (going to be my flipping stick), a few Dorbers, and a Batson (in the mail). I thought about tying a MHX blank, but a little pricey for me being in college.

I guess I shouldn't say that though, because the bill between the blanks I have there isn't all that little!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, make sure to post pictures of before and afters, I'm interested to see how your results come out.